I Forge Iron

A small steam hammer

I'd love to buy the kit, and may, but if you decide to, be forewarned that it's not a "buy it, do a little machining and put it together" project.

I just talked to the company that sells those kits to the re-seller above. He said two castings are provided (and that's it). Everything else that is needed must be purchased elsewhere and/or made from scratch by the builder (drawings are provided). No machining has been done on the castings. It all needs to be done by the person building the hammer. That means you need a milling machine and metal lathe with all the attachments and tooling needed to make precision instruments. Oh... you also need all those other tools that are needed in a machine shop.

I'm not sure why the seller says a shaper is needed. It's not that a shaper couldn't be used, but a milling machine for associated operations is more appropriate.

• 3 weeks later...

Ive got a couple like that,

1st up, a 12" high self contained, works 100% like the full size, including clamp, hold up, variable blow energy and 'proper' single blow. I took this one to the BABA agm a couple of years ago and we forge welded 1/4" bar with it! (the 'real' electric motor is in the cabinet)

10022008700.jpg

10022008702.jpg

10022008701.jpg