I Forge Iron

Blacksmith wanted

Hi Zarc,
I do hope you feel a bit more confortable now after the not so nice introduction and welcome from our part. As a new guy here too, when I first started to read your thread and some of the answers, I felt compelled to speak up on behalf of a little tactfullness. Certainly, I`m pretty sure all guys mean good to you, but at times what we mean and how we say something should be in agreement; namely, if we want to make a comment to benefit someone, then let`s do it in a constructive fashion. Not to drag on the issue, but on your behalf, yes I`m sure you`ll benefit from improving your writing and/or speaking proficiency, who wouldn`t? You are young and seem to be a sincere guy who wants to get ahead in life. Don`t pay too much atention to down terms or actitutes out there, there`s plenty of that in today`s world. So the best you can do is improve yourself, and go for it. Zarc if you like blacksmithing, that`s what really matters. The pics you show speak for themselves. You have great potential man. Never mind if it`ll take you time to get your shop together. Welcome to this site. Please post whatever you make and share with us. Best wishes. Nelson.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's a nice body of work Zarc.

Very uniform and consistent, the proportions are good, quite pleasing to the eye. Your joinery looks to be done in a solid workmanlike manner. The twists are even throughout and the long tapering twist on your fire poker is very well done.

The next time you fuller the faces prior to twisting try breaking the corners a little. Then twist till the fuller closes. this is called a cable twist and makes nice handles, it feels good in the hand.

The incising technique you used on the twists you designed can, with slight modification enhance the cable twist. After breaking the corners incise the corners at the same angle as the final twist's pitch but in the opposite direction. This way when you twist it the incisions will align with the length of the piece for an even better illusion of cable.

Thanks for sharing.

Frosty

Edited by Frosty

Hi Zarc
Thanks for letting me know location of Hove, unfortunately it's a little to far from OZ for me to get you to commute to work. I asked as I am often on the look out for interested young,ns who want an apprenticeship, I'd prefer to employ someone who is already interested rather than a bloke just "lookin for work mate". Your work shows a good eye for detail finish and pride of wrokmanship. You also seem to have a good eye for proportion and shape. Pride of workmanship I find is one of the hardest atributes to instill in an apprentice. Most don't seem to get the drift till a year or so after finishing their trade.
Keep trying in your quest
It took me quite a few goes 27 years ago to get a blacksmithing apprenticeship.

cheers
Phil

All good solid work Zarcon!! You should be proud of it:)

Funny, after I suggested talking to your local shops... I found myself STILL doing what I suggest to some degree.

About 4 years ago I hired a guy to do some metal fab for a job I was doing. He had recently made the change from ferrier to smithing. Taken a couple classes and off he went. After doing the one job for me, I had several more materialized for him. I liked his work and style, someone I found inspirational. My smithing had been re-inspired after about 15 years.
At this point we have become good friends and have worked together sharing tips and trick.

I guess my point is, with an open mind and honest desire, anything is possible. And yes, your recent posts show you are able to grow beyond limitations and adversity, good onya!

Thanks evoryone for the complements, It's sparked a new hope in me. and regarding to the cable twist.
When i get a chance i will try it, it sounds really cool. Thanks for the tip Frosty ^^

The pic is a table leg I'm working on. I didn't twist the groove closed because I wanted it to look more like a turned wooden table leg. In form anyway. This cable twist is in a 3/4" sq section drawn down from 1" sq bar with a spring die in a power hammer. Just so you don't think I did that by hand. ;)

Frosty

13451.attach

Hi Zarc, several things:

1.)Welcome to IForgeIron! :)
2.)Great work in those pics you posted. :):)
3.)Glad you did not become discouraged and kept reading and posting here.

And most important...

4.)If I were you I would pack my bags and move down under to Oz and grab that apprenticeship. :cool:

It seems to be just exactly what you are looking for and what forgemaster is looking for as well. If you don't have anything tying you down or holding you back, you should consider grabbing an opportunity that most only dream of. That is what I would do if I could, though this is just a suggestion and my humble opinion.

Good luck and God speed in your endeavors.

Jeff

Love the twist very nice. I did think very strongly of going to OZ for the apprentaship, but there are a few issues holding me back.
Once i've sorted them out however i'll talk to him thanks. ^^

Edited by Zarc