I Forge Iron

Need advice for packing/crating anvil

It's that time again to move across the ocean and was wanting to get some ideas. Nothing heavier than 150, so maybe just make a box or small pallet or something? I was thinking of cutting up my benchtop which is a piece of 2'x8'x1" pressboard for box material. Also have a bunch of 2x4 wood scrap and flat bar to use. Any info is appreciated...

Thanks,
Dave

Years ago Centaur shipped an anvil about 165 pounds to me. It had a board the size of the top strapped down with metal bands and some goo coating the face to protect it from rust.

You may need to ask the shipper what they allow, but protecting the face with a board firmly affixed may be sufficient.

Thanks for the advice, I like the metal band idea around the box i'm going to attempt to make. It's just going with my household goods, but in my mind I see them tumbling around in the container. Also they're small enough that they could grow legs walk away, so I wanted them out of sight as well.
Thanks again,
Dave

"Pressboard" is often quite prone to falling apart when exposed to moisture and while we hope your goods will be well taken care of there is always the possibility that there will be a problem...
One suggestion is to make wooden boxes for your tools that can then be turned on their sides and stacked as storage shelves.

I'm pretty sure it is pressboard, so I will try to get more 2x4's to work with. I like the storage shelf idea, so no better time to learn to make boxes like now.
I was wondering about laying on the sides, I was advised that as well. Would it matter if they laid on their sides for a few months?

Thanks for the help,
Dave

That's the thing, we're moving back home to Hawaii which is why I bought a few anvils now. They will be in containers with our household goods/personal property shipment, not being shipped by freight/UPS/FedEx.
Anyways, figured out they all would fit in a 12"x24"x24" box. Just need to find some scrap 2x4's or pallets and make a few.

One suggestion is to make wooden boxes for your tools that can then be turned on their sides and stacked as storage shelves.

I wish I knew about this awhile ago. On average we move maybe once every two years. This will definately make moving in/out much easier...

The box ideas should wor out fine. But let me put a little diferent spin on it. Note I've never shipped an anvil anywhere, but if your worried about a long trip, could it be possible to fill your crate with that great stuff foam that they use to fill cracks around windows & doors? Or even the packing peanuts would work to give it extra padding. just a thought