I Forge Iron

A Curious Thing...

So I finally got around to fashioning a proper base for my anvil. I had a stump laying about. This oak stump is about 18-20 inches in diameter and is 2' tall. I routed a 3/4" depression for the anvil to sit in so that it will not move about. The curious thing is that when I struck my anvil on its new mount it rang like a bell. The funny thing is that when I had it set up before, it did not ring hardly at all. I used to have my anvil set upon two oak beam ends that where 8" high and 6" across each. Any one have any thoughts as to why this might be the case? Thanks.

Best,
Archiphile

It's probably not sitting flat. Any anvil that is sitting on high points will ring more than if it has full contact with its base.

I'd venture if you fasten it tight to the stump somehow, it will ring less. There has been some discussion on this forum before about using some type of poly adhesive under the anvil to fill in any gaps. If you don't want the anvil to stick, just put some light plastic sheeting over the adhesive on one or both sides.

you could usa a thin sheet of lead under the anvil .. it wil conform to the shape of the bottom of the anvil and cut down on the ringing...or chain wrapped around body but as to why its is probably got a high spot and with time will settle down and quiet up as it sets into the block

At the moment my main anvil is a Russian Steel anvil. It had a very unpleasant sound. I fixed it by getting some construction adhesvie and gluded the turkey to a 3/4 inch plyboard. I nailed that to the top of my stump.

That helped a lot but it is still a piece of prospective junk that you don't want to tap on the round horn.

the high spot suggestion is very likely to be the cause. I did notice that it is ,much quieter with a piece of hot steel rather then just striking the face. I only wanted to see how loud it was last night to see how long into the evening I could forge. It has settled a bit this morning and is better and I will be getting some chain latter today for the waist. I do not want to glue this to the stump as I hope to take it a long on demos so I need it to be removable. Thank you for all of your comments.

Best,

Archiphile

Charlotte, I had one of those Russian Anvils, too. In fact, I wrote the review on Anvilfire. Yeah, rang like an obnoxious alarm clock. I chained it down and that helped a lot but getting rid of it was the best solution!

Yes, I read your review. I totally agree! I had a mousehole anvil stolen from where I had it stored a ten years ago. I restored that thing with loving care, a lot of sweat, effort, and research, and the help of friends with heavy duty equipment that I didn't have. I picked up the Russian as quick replacement, borrowed an anvil from a guy for a year, and then was out of the action until recently.

I also have a large section of 5 1/2" X 5 1/2 " by 12" high alloy steel that can substitute when I need a better mass to pound on. ( I forget what the alloy is but it may be similar to 4140.)

I have a couple of railroad anvils that I use for more delicate work. The Russian serves mostly to hold anvil tools and mount my smithin Magician.