I Forge Iron

first leaf blade dagger

Hello Everyone,

This was a serious learning project. I managed to create my first leaf blade and first dagger. I am happy with the handle and the blade, although I had a bad time with the ricasso. Also, there are a couple of belt marks, and it needs more polish.

But, I have always wanted to make a leaf blade dagger. I think they are beautiful. This one won't win any contests, but it means I am on my way!

10" blade
1.4" wide
1/8" thick
flattened diamond cross-section

handle is maple of some sort,
brass guard
leather spacer
copper-nickel butt cap

quenched in heated canola, tempered at 375F for 3 one-hour trials.

Comments, encouragement, ideas, ADVICE, all welcomed. This was a challenge, and despite its obvious flaws, came out better than I expected.

Thanks for looking,

Kevin

12973.attach

12974.attach

12975.attach

thanks for the kind words. A person with more experience than me told me that this may be better described as a spear point rather than leaf blade.

It was forged as a leaf blade, but every time I goofed with grinding, I ended up taking a little more off of the swells or shortening the point to make up for it. So, I have almost parallel sides (it actually swells most of the way from ricasso to just behind point, then tapers to point - there is a very small swelling at base).

My wife wants me to call it THE SMURF SWORD! It looks like a good cut and thrust compromise for a mighty blue warrior! (her comments).

Kevin