I Forge Iron

new forge first fire report

I was given a new forge as a Christmas present and ordered one from Mike Tanner. I finally got it set up and lit the first fire in it yesterday. I had been working on a little portable forge previously and had been feeling limited when trying to forge larger pieces of metal. I was very impressed with the new forge! I did some of the projects that I had set aside as too time consuming before and also some other small things. I was more pleased than I had expected by the increased ease of heating and forging. The blast control was amazingly sensitive and also added an unexpected dividend of efficiency. It was a BLAST to operate! I did allow myself to be distracted for a few moments and had some minor burning of irons but caught it just in time to save everything (this was mostly due to having started the fire with all new coal and increased heat levels as the coal converted to coke caught me off guard).

This forge was a lot of fun to work with and more than fulfilled my expectations! My thanks to Mike for making a nice product and being a pleasure to do business with! I hope you sell a lot of these Mike!

I was given a new forge as a Christmas present and ordered one from Mike Tanner. ... My thanks to Mike for making a nice product and being a pleasure to do business with! I hope you sell a lot of these Mike!

Any chance we could see a picture? It might help Mike sell a lot of them. I need to buy/make a forge and I would love to see what you got.

Thanks,

Bill

Okay here is a picture... sorry I was a little busy before. I am also including a picture of the trowel that I was able to complete with the forge. My wife reports that the trowel is amazingly useful! Much more effective even than it would appear to be. She has ordered another narrower model (which I have completed except for the handle finish and final assembly... pics of that later).
MG_5861forge.JPG[/urlurl=http://www.iforgeiron.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/14945]MG_5863trowel_front.JPG