I Forge Iron

forge materials in australia

hey guys

im new to blacksmithing and this is my first post on this forum but i'm really stuck.

im trying to make a gas forge, i have my plans but i cant find anywhere in australia and queensland to find fire bricks, 1" durablanket and itc-100.

can any of the aussies out there let me know if there are any places in australia that sells them?

thanks

I'm struggling a bit myself. Down Victoria way it's easier I understand, 'cos it gets cold there!
Welcome to IFI. Please add your location (doesn't need to be exact) to your profile as we may be able to help better if we know where you are.
And there's a few of us in QLD thinking of building forges, so we may even be able to get together on it.

Welcome aboard Lanchie, maybe try looking for businesses that use a kiln in their process, maybe the local suspension spring works, pottery, etc. They may be able to help find a local source, or maybe even have some excess materials on hand. A bit of seet talking can go a long way.
Mick

Pottery Supplies

Those folks have a Brisbane location. Their catalog lists "fibre" blanket (too bad they can't spell -- just kidding, of course!) and refractory bricks, both hard and insulating. They also have refractory cements including a Kaowool hardener, which will serve in the place of ITC if you can't get it. (I don't think it'll give you the same efficiency boost as ITC-100, but at least it should seal in the unhealthy fibers.) Edited by MattBower

• 5 months later...

There is an Artist Blacksmiths Association, N.S.W, Inc., which puts out "erratically" a nice newsletter. Their address from 2006 was Graham Moyses, 8 Lake Spur, Laurieton, NSW 2443. Their membership and officers would be helpful.

I demoed for the "Hot Iron Muster" near Brisbane in 2005 and had a wonderful time.

Turley Forge and Blacksmithing School : The Granddaddy of Blacksmithing Schools

I've been meaning to price these guys as well. Located in Wetherill Park, Sydney.
Anyone else feel free to jump in ahead of me!
Field Furnace Refractories

Andrew O'C

ps also there is Bulli Refractories;
Quilkey Place
Bulli NSW 2516
Phone and Fax;
(02) 4284 4611
I used to use their products in an industrial setting; so it must be ok!

Edited by AndrewOC
found more stuff

Is also this mob in Melbourne , mate of mines the shop floor leading hand ( DON'T mentinon my name or they'll charge you DOUBLE .. :) )

HCS INDUSTRIAL PTY LTD aka Furnace Engineering Pty Ltd

This place also ... Welcome to ALS Technologies: Suppliers of Industrial Furnace Equipment

Yellow pages of Vic " furnace makers / suppliers "..... Search results for Furnace in Vic - Yellow Pages®

Dale Russell

Edited by Dale Russell
Added stuff

• 2 months later...

Looks like I'm going to the "dark" side and will set up a gasser. I love my coal forge but it takes quite a while to get going and to shut down safely so a gasser appears the way to go for a quick forge in the evenings.

Anyone have a source of itc-100 in Aussie or can we get it from the States?

Thanx

• 4 years later...

I bought something similar to itc100 from hybridburners in the US. Shipped with the t-Rex I bought.
Iv lined my steel shell with 2" wool, used kaowool hardener over the lot and am currently waiting for that to set before laying on some Blakite (then the itc100). All of which came from pottery supplies Brisbane.