I Forge Iron

Garden spike

We have been invited by some friends from church over for dinner tonight, and yesterday while making a slide bolt for my forge, I had some extra-- fool around time with a hot forge, so I thought a gift would be nice, this is the first time I have tried the chiseled line technique in a twist, hope the pic shows it, not quite as hard as I thought, and it really adds class and changes the nature of a piece.

Going to kill some vampires in the garden you say? :D

Very nice cross!

For vampires that would need to be a wooden stake and to get a fine looking twist like that in wood, would indeed be a challenge.

Mick. Edited by Mick
oops......speling

pic Frosty---pic, I need a pic aqgggghhhh!!!

Here you go Mike.

I was going to get a better example, this is maybe the second or third one I ever tried. Before I learned to do the twist, THEN do the transitions.

Anyway, this shows the process and results much better than a better example of cable twist would.

I used a thin veiner/fuller, broke the corners and twisted till the fullered groove closed.

I did this one in a campfire w/o blast somewhere in the bush. Used two crescent wrenches for the twist and my RR rail anvil, I brought the 1/2" sq. It's an "S" hook for hanging a pot over the fire.

Frosty

12966.attach

Edited by Frosty

Very nicely done Mike. The cross at the top gives a real nice finish to it.

Like your twist Frosty. Good job working with a minimum of tools and a woodland forge! Just goes to show what you can accomplish when you need something and you don't have a well equipped shop on hand!;)

Very nicely done gentlemen!

Terry

Frosty,
I love the look of the corners broke down, adds a softness to it, I am going to give it a go next time, also I understand that you can nick the corners and come out with a cool look as well, I do all my chiseling hot, sooooo much easier, how bout you?

When you say "nick" the corners how do you mean?

A cable twist was the first one I learned after plain twisting. A buddy of mine has spring dies to make 3/4" sq look like 4 3/8" rd bundled for cable twisting. I used it a couple weeks ago for a table project I'm working on. I'll post some pics later today, I have PT in a little bit.

Thanks Terry, I found that playing with fire and hitting things suited me better than drinking a half rack of beer after work every night.

Frosty

It is called a Fredericks cross, I think it is in the blueprints, if not, I think it is posted on anvilfire somewhere, someone here will know, sorry, I can't remember where I saw the procedure, a guy in our forge group showed it to me, and I ran with it.