I Forge Iron

steel springs?

SRT02

Yes they can make quite nice knives; some of them may have problems with stress cracking if they were abused in their previous life.

They are a common material we suggest beginning knifemakers use to get use to working high carbon steels (though such springs are often a medium carbon steel).

I have made a few knives from coiled auto springs. They will hold a good edge if heat treated right, but when I spark tested it...it looked almost like iron! But it seems like good enough steel. Some people have said that it is 5160, but it didnt spark like it. Good luck!

The knife in my avatar is 5160, made from the right, rear main leaf spring of a '65 ford pickup, 7 1/2" blade with an 11 1/4" overall length--takes and holds an edge really nice. I'm able to chop up seasoned oak, bamboo, chicken, beef, carrots, prune my apricot tree and can still shave hair with it (okay, it's more like pulling the hair out by scraping, but it does hold a good edge given the abuse I can put it through).

I have heard that most U.S. auto manufacturers used 5160 and it was pretty much standard on the vehicles using leaf springs from the '50's to the '60's and then the auto makers started experimenting with other alloys. (at least that's what I've heard--could be totally wrong.) I have also heard that the newer vehicles are using some rather nasty elements such as selenium (again, could be totally wrong), but they're not really consistently 5160 anymore, which would explain some coil springs *not* spark testing like 5160. And yes, you can heat the coil springs, unwind them, and make blades--may or may not make *great* blades, but you can get enough material out of one spring to make a dozen knives and if the material doesn't hold up well, the only thing you've lost is the material--you've gained valuable experience forging them!

Edited by chrisfrick
grammatical errors

I have seen springs almost that large that came from the base of a ten thousand pound LASCO hammer. The Lasco hammer itself sits on large springs in the base to help absorb vibration from the hammer. I would think a spring that size would be from something similar or maybe even from the base of a larger Lasco hammer than the one I am familiar with.

Terry

I have some smaller coil springs that came from the resaw at the mill where I work. I tried to straighten one of them recently and it split along the length of the spring. I was told by a friend that I should try to anneal the springs before I work with them. What do you guys think?

I have some smaller coil springs that came from the resaw at the mill where I work. I tried to straighten one of them recently and it split along the length of the spring. I was told by a friend that I should try to anneal the springs before I work with them. What do you guys think?

The only way you could straighten them is while they are above red and into the orange-hot color range.
Annealing is irrelevant.

• 2 weeks later...
Wow, thanks for all the info! Man, that is a HUGE spring. Any idea of what it is off of?
It'd be fun to know! :D

Hi, I am Michael from Germany. I am a owner of service company for forging equipment. If you need some information about this do not hesitate to contact me. I have some springs in my plant.

Michael:)

Over time I've collected a lot of road kill spring. When looking at coil spring I've notice a number of cold shuts at the points of failure. Just a little FYI.

When you pick up a broken spring, discarded, it is always a good idea to ask your self why it failed or was discarded.