I Forge Iron

My New (used) Buffalo Forge

Jeff Bly

I am so psyched!!! I finally picked up a forge. Hand cranked Buffalo Forge. Picked it up for $100 at an estate sale. For $10 more, I picked up a huge assortment of Nicholson files, like 30 or more of them. I think I've struck it pretty rich with the assortment of blacksmithing items that I have procured in such a short amount of time.

Well anyways, here are some pics of my new found toy:

12664.attach

12665.attach

12666.attach

12667.attach

12668.attach

12669.attach

12670.attach

12671.attach

O and looking at the grate id say clay up the bottom of the pan and around and maybe under the grate so air wont escape to the sides for a controled air blast. That pan looks homemade but should work fine. Are you going to forge outside? If you work inside a shed or garage youl need a side draft to vent that beast, believe u me.

Frosty - It moves air by cranking the handle:p Just kidding. It moves the air really well. Handle spins freely a turn or so after I let go.

I don't know anything about the forge pan, although I do recall seeing something similar to it somewhere else recently. The pan does look as if it would need to be patched/closed up a bit. The way it sets now, there really isn't much use for the ash gate/dump. I am considering making a new pan for it anyhow. We'll see how enthusiatic I get about that.

The forge is quite portable, so until I get a side draft vent built, installed and going, I will have to work outdoors, although that is not a problem for me.

Does anyone suggest anything in particular to use as a lubricant in the gear box? I'm thinking of opening it up, giving it a thorough cleaning and a good going over then filling the gear box with something. Maybe a gear box oil?

I am soooo jealous I would have loved to find something like that in my neck of the woods I mostly want the blower now though as I have built my own forge and firepot. A really nice blower would serve me well. (this hard dryer thing just is not cutting it.)