I Forge Iron

Sources for o1 steel

Ed Tipton

Can anyone tell me what some common sources of o1 steel are? I have seen charts that tell such things as old car springs are a good source for 5160 etc. but I have never found such info for likely places to find o1 steel. I do know that it is used frequently in dies and punches, but I am looking for something a little easier to find and in sizes and shapes that are workable with a hammer and anvil rather than a power hammer. I'm sure there are many uses, I just havn't found the info I need.

I was luck enough to literally stumble in the dark over some. I have a bar that's about 4" wide 3/4" thick and about 3 1/2ft long. I've been cutting it down into smaller billets for knives. I still have a little over 2ft left. My shoulder twinges every time I walk past it.

Thanks for the responses guys. I guess I should have been more clear. I'm really not looking so much for where I might BUY it, as for where I might FIND it, as in a junk yard or salvage yard. I am aware there are many places that sell o1 steel, but, I'm looking for uses of o1 that a guy might stumble on to if he's lucky. I am aware of the problems of using "mystery metal", but I'm new to bladesmithing, and on fixed income. While o1 is cheap compared to some steels, it still squeezes my wallet pretty hard to pay retail for it. If I was selling knives at a profit, then I would pay for the "known quantity", but I'm trying to get by on the cheap, especially until I have developed some worthwhile technique. I'm still at the stage where my knives have far more issues than being made from mystery metal.
From what I've read, o1 seems to be about the easiest steel for beginners to work with, and it is capeable of producing some terrific blades. It is also very forgiving, and if you fail at heat treating, it will allow you to "do it again", providing you don't burn it to a crisp! That sounds like what I need!

i am not sure but i don't think O1 is used it many part that are at the sizes you want when they are thrown away. and if you still are at the stage you describe id stay to car/truck springs both coil and leaf kinds. they make use full knifes and are easy to forge and cheap and easy to find. and other things such as ball bearings and roll bearings from big machines and such are really good steel it is a bit harder to forge but make really good blades wear resistant and strong edge and some rebar also makes good blades :D keep on forging and show your work here :)

DC

Ed, there's a Fastenal in Decatur, Lincoln and Bloomington.
Here in Watseka they keep quite a stock pile of O1 on the shelf in various sizes.
But, then again, heat treatment on O1 is critical to achieve full performance from this steel.
It most deffinitely requires long soak times with proper temp control, followed by a decent heat treat medium speed oil.
If you have a heat treat oven, you're good-to-go!