I Forge Iron

Tyre/Tire bender

Gentlemen.
I need some ideas on a consistent, repeatable method for bending 3/8 to 3/4 square stock into circles. When I worked for Brown lennox we had an old tyre (thats tire for those of us that speak American) bender, it was kind of similar to a slip roll machine on steroids. I believe I have seen one in an old Champion or Bufallo catalogue. I have a Champion tyre shrinker, so I know they were in that pre-pneumatic business, but I bet they are hard to come by, and as always some bloody antique millionair will have a real sense of humour about his pricing!
Halbol fleight have a machine for embossing "jewelry" that kind of looks like the thing I need, but as usual it's probably made of Tiwanium, and I don't think it would handle the rigours of steady use.
Paul
PS I need to bend circles for a bunch of flower hanging baskets and stands for the same, the largest diameter will be about 24 inches and the smallest will be about 6 inches.

Lysdexic, Look at this roller. I bought one of these at a local tool place (Steve's Wholsale Tools) a couple of years ago and wound up buying another for our business. Both of them have stood up well. They were about $130.00 when I bought mine.They will bend 3/4'' solid but 1'' square tubing will not fit in the unit unless you make smaller rollers for the bottom.

Rollers - Sheet Metal Band Ring Roller Steel Metalworking Bender

Hope this helps, Bill D.

Lysdexic, Look at this roller. I bought one of these at a local tool place (Steve's Wholsale Tools) a couple of years ago and wound up buying another for our business. Both of them have stood up well. They were about $130.00 when I bought mine.They will bend 3/4'' solid but 1'' square tubing will not fit in the unit unless you make smaller rollers for the bottom.

Rollers - Sheet Metal Band Ring Roller Steel Metalworking Bender

Hope this helps, Bill D.

I have one of these also it says it will bend 3/8x 2" the only problem is the flats at each end ...I weld it together then finish the curve on the anvil ...works for me

i have build 3 or 4 of this machines that u skeap about ...if u ask me they are not fast enof. 3/8 and 3/4 is pipe ? sorry i am not familar with american mesurments but if this is flatbat or square iron what i whoud do i whoud roll them on jig using a lathe or if the lathe is to small and it's worth constructing a machine consider into building a rolling machine...something like this but with a larger diameter die YouTube - Ferforje Halka ve Nervür Makinası-Circle-Carled Conifer Mach

If bending cold with jigs you have to alow for spring back but 3/4 square cold would take a big bending fork and a bunch of nam power.

To make a bending jig bend a piece of 1 X 1/4 or 3/8 material around a curved piece and weld this to angle iron.
Take a new piece and bend this around the jig you just made and it makes the next size bigger jig. Weld this to angle iron and continue till you have a set of jigs to make what ever size you need to bend.

Do the bending cold and again there will be spring back but to make an even bend the piece must be an even temp and cold is an even temp

You dont have to make the jig a whole circle but only a portion of the circle.
Start the new stock on the jig, make the bend then advance around continue to bend till you have bent enough

Bending cold to a jig will not give repeatability, spring back varies from each bar used

There are designs out there to make the type of machinery you require, I cannot find the link at the moment, but have seen them when trawling the net.

I am fortunate enough to have a tyre bonding machine that I managed to acquire from a closing down museum, it cost over the odds as I was bidding against a collector who was most disgruntled as I would be using it, and he only had six in his collection. What a waste.

Thanks for the input, the old tyre benders were worked cold, and I think (there I go thinking again) that if I cut all stock to length first, I should be able to negate some of the springback. I like the look of the roll machine and for 200 bucks I think I would have a job building something, I don't have the "bonepile" contacts in my new location yet. Thanks for the vaughans info Sam, the problem as far as that goes for us is the cost of shipping, the GPO doesn't like stuff that big, and I don't know of anyone still importing to the "Colonies". There is a horror story of anvils being quarantined, because they were marked as "EQUINE PRODUCTS" and some moron in customs held them up because of the scare over BSE/mad cow. I have thought about building a version of my own, but finding a knurled/toothed "power" roller seems to be the problem, any sugestions?
Paul