I Forge Iron

blacksmith Question. What would you make with this.

BIG_BOLT2.JPG

I delivered a bunch of bolts to a plant today and while I was there. I noticed a big bin full of discarded metal, Well I asked the old boy there if he would mind of I took a couple pcs. sure he said. Anyway I got this bolt and some other pcs, and was wondering what to make outta this bolt and thought I would pose the question on here. " What would you make with this Bolt"

BIG_BOLT.JPG

Also what do the numbers mean on the bolt head..

Tom, my cousin takes those large bolts, draws the end out to a point, gives them a high polish and sells 'em to folks that like RR spikes and such. Nice novelty!.

some good idea's ,, Not sure exactly what I'll do with the bolt, But thanks for the input, If anyone else has idea's, feel free to share them.....Tom

Looks like you could make roses with them. A lot of the work is already done for you. They would be small, but would be cool to then put them on a vine!?? If you're not familiar with making them, there are some good blueprints for them. Also some decent youtube videos on making them.

Edited by Leo33

What about a plant hanger?

If you drew down the center section of the bolt to a long and thin section, bent it into a hook shape with the head at the top. An upside down J hook, large head pointing down over a rafter, wire or twine wraped above the nut to hold the plant basket.

It sure would look unique, having a recognizable large head and threaded end, with a long drawn out center section.

An idea at least.

Caleb Ramsby

Tom,

Glad you liked it, I was thinking the shape of a question mark, a conversation piece to say the least. Especially if some of the center section is made into a small square and given a nice twist.

For easier hanging of the basket, you could drill some small vertical holes through the nut, then thread the twine, cord of wire through them.

I grew up in Bristol, Tennessee, really miss the smokeys sometimes.

Caleb Ramsby