I Forge Iron

Scrap metal ottawa

I know it might sound gross but have you tired your local dump / recycling center. The dumps here are fairly regimented and organized so that certain materials go certain places and don’t get all mixed up. Some of them allow you to poke around for materials. Another option would be to contact the auto wrecker and ask them (even if it seems odd) if they know of a place like you are looking for.  You could also call places like Metro Scrap Metal Inc. If they dont sell to you they may know people who do. They are in a similar business to what you’re looking for and may be able to help further. We are Canadians after all famed for our helpful nature ;).

Look for the folks that use  I Beam and large plate and heavy square tube. They are the ones that produce the scrap that goes to the junk yard. Tell them what you are going to do, and politely ask if you can visit their scrap bin. Wear personal protection equipment such as steel toed boots, gloves, safety glasses and a hard hat before they can suggest it. Leave their scrap pile in better shape than you found it. 

There are many usable items that can be found at the auto wreckers. Axles, steering linkages, springs etc.

Donuts or cookies on the way in and a thank you on the way out goes a long way in building a relationship. Things you have made from their scrap materials can be given as gifts.

21 hours ago, BIGGUNDOCTOR said:

Look for a steel supply company, or structural steel fabricator, then ask them if they have any scrap pieces that you can get. Therw was one near where I used to work that had a dumpster full of big steel -like 24" I-beam big. 

In my area steel yards typically frown on giving out freebies, but they will sell you drops at what is practically scrap prices. The place I go to almost always have large sheet metal drops they can't do anything with (like 2'x5' or 3'x6") that I pick up for pennies on the dollar.

I certainly was not expecting freebies. 

My dad is down  in Toronto this week and is visiting a scrap yard he deals with often. 

They have everything I need to build my power hammer other than possibly the anvil. 

All at scrap prices. Think he said 35 or 40 cents a pound.