I Forge Iron

The Beginnings of my first Forge

4 hours ago, Latticino said:

Suggest a hinged counterweighted ash dump instead of a pipe cap.  Depending on what you are burning, that will make your life a lot easier IMHO.

Oh man I forgot the pipe cap ash dump and I'm usually right on that one. I think the beautiful job distracted me. What do you think Latticino, am I losing it or was it just a slip?

I like clamp on semi exhaust flap caps, you've seen them on semi exhaust stacks. Upside down on the bottom of the tuyere, the counter weight keeps them closed and a flip with something opens them to dump the ash. If you get coal gas in the tuyere and it pops it just opens the flap, dumps the ash and closes up.

Frosty The Lucky.

• 1 month later...

Well it has been some time since my last post.  Weather, School, Darkness and car accident has put a damper on the build time.  That being said I am nearly done.  All that I have left to do is the air handling to be up and running.  I added the extra plate because I thought the cart was a bit to thin.  I added the ring to make the fire pot / coke handling area a bit bigger.  

20161230_150158.jpg

20161230_150150.jpg

20161230_150046(0).jpg

20161230_150146.jpg

I want to say thank you for all your input and guidance.  The finished product is a lot different then what I had originally intended, that was because I was making a lot of rookie mistakes.  Thank you all again for helping me so that I was not rebuilding over and over.

It looks really good Christopher. The ash trap can be shorter but it's not a must. A frying pa or just sweeping the ash up off that nice shelf would work nicely. The important thing is to NOT let hot coals fall in the leaves or dry . . . stuff under the forge.

I'll be watching for pics of it with a fire and stock in it.

Frosty The Lucky.