I Forge Iron

Gate Progress

Maybe when Mom switches properties with us I can start on the fence WIP :)  Almost leaning towards strap hinges right now.  Have lots of post to work with and might tie in better with the rest of the fence ( lazy and not wanting to move fence posts)

Yeah, it's hard to charge Mom enough to be in the black on a job. I was thinking a little while ago and realized I had the dragon, butter fly hinges wrong, oh SOOOO obviously wrong, the wings are the straps and the body the pin and bale. I confused making bug hinges with another project that's been in my mind for some time.

In my mental project view screen I've been thinking of a dragon fly wall sconce. It'd be attached to the wall like it'd landed there and the light would be LEDs that reflect off the wings. Angle the wings for indirect light reflected at and off the wall or turned so they reflect light down or out, say on the book you're reading or papers you're working on.

Another version would be mounted to the wall with the tail so the legs are facing out and maybe have a TRex in it's mandibles for scale.

Things like this go through my head all the time so I get confused about what I'm thinking, sometimes mix and match like I did on your gate hinge idea.

Frosty The Lucky.

Don't know Frosty,  I think your one of the guys that's worth listening to.  

Anyways,  think I'm done with it.  Have a bunch of wire wheeling to do and brush on a bunch of paint.  Just had to play with the yellow and orange to see if the effect I was after was going to work out.  Think its pretty close.  Push plate for the inside and a basket twist handle on the outside.   Thinking that the SMITH will be in orange as well.  The rest of the gate black.  May paint the leaves if the green seems compatible.  Would be the same green as the vise and stand.  It will just be the simple strap hinges on the post for now.  May upgrade that later. 

DSC02732.thumb.JPG.1ad11e233bb9c5741b558DSC02733.thumb.JPG.b8f170bdd88f7b6dcd140DSC02734.thumb.JPG.9234ee973ab23c85977a7DSC02731.thumb.JPG.0373748c6d70639b06a0d

I don't know if that's the effect you were going for with the sun but it looks good to me.

Is that your Mom in the background or a jealous neighbor? She's going to be bragging on her son all over town you know.

She has good reason.

Frosty The Lucky.

Jealous wife...   but anyways  ;)  Think I have things where they are all good.  Paint wasn't playing as nice as I had wanted, but things are as close as they are going to get for now. Wanted a light dusting of silver on the dragonfly wings fading to the back edges but the silver ended up being an all or nothing paint.  Mostly a matter of getting it over to Moms and mounted.  Been a busy weekend.  Sent a Friends wife off yesterday in the morning.  Short but sweet service.  Then hustle back and huddled under tents in the rain for a wedding.  Had a strut to change in  the minivan this morning so just enough time to get the last of the paint on before the clouds settled in again.DSC02748.thumb.JPG.17c5be7b1e5ba49a431a0

1 hour ago, gote said:

really great gate.

that's a really good tongue twister! try saying that ten times fast.

Littleblacksmith

• 2 weeks later...