I Forge Iron

Snake tail video?

I will call it a snakes tail - but that is not right I know. I am looking for a video of someone wrapping stock around itself several times. I want to make some 1-1/2 eyes in 1/2" stock and then wrap the tails around the shank two or three times. I can do this currently (at least the eyes) but watching someone else do it would sure help me do it easier. I'm pretty good at monkey see - monkey do. Anyone recommend a video?

Does it all have to be done in the forge? You could forge the eyes easily, but an oxy torch is real handy for doing wraps, especially in thinly tapered stock because you can isolate the heat much more easily.

I understand what you want to do, but yes, a picture of your work would be handy so we can get a better idea.

Edited by ausfire
missing word

Wrapping stock around itself seems to be a fairly straight forward operation, so I presume I am missing your intention somewhere......Gary Huston does a nice woven handle in one of his vids, maybe not exactly what you seek but the technique should apply.