I Forge Iron

magnetised hammer head

natkova

I have some hammer that on it self had magnetised spot. But now it don't have. Its claw hamer  and it had magnetised head how to magnetise steel?

Tool is something like this .  Is there some way to magnetise steel easy without heating casting moulding. Without changing temperature i tihink if i rub it  the magnet will fall off.

ESTE3239MM.jpg

You can magnetize a piece of steel by winding a piece of insulated wire around it in a coil and touching both ends of the wire to both terminals of a battery. I'd avoid a car battery because the result is pretty dynamic. After all you have created an electric coil and iirc, when I did it with a screwdriver and a "D" cell it of course sparked but also blew the insulation off the wire and got hot real fast. (Wear gloves) But the screwdriver did have some magnetism; at least enough to pick up and hold a screw... I'm sure a real electrician will come along and tell why it works. And maybe how to do it safely :ph34r:

Scott

Here's one for anybody.  I have a piece of 3.25 round bar about three feet long that I planted in a drywall bucket full of concrete, with a rebar web a few inches from the bottom to keep the post above the bottom of the bucket.  My idea was to make a beater post anvil that could be left outside.  works great and it weighs about 140 lbs.  The problem is that the whole thing is mildly magnetic, and I can't figure out how to unmagnetize it.  works great for checking critical temp, but a bummer when everything else sticks to it, albeit mildly.

sorry for hijacking, but it seemed to blend

Here's one for anybody.  I have a piece of 3.25 round bar about three feet long that I planted in a drywall bucket full of concrete, with a rebar web a few inches from the bottom to keep the post above the bottom of the bucket.  My idea was to make a beater post anvil that could be left outside.  works great and it weighs about 140 lbs.  The problem is that the whole thing is mildly magnetic, and I can't figure out how to unmagnetize it.  works great for checking critical temp, but a bummer when everything else sticks to it, albeit mildly.

sorry for hijacking, but it seemed to blend

Dude, I am honored that you quoted me in your signature line. 

As to your question; http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/threads/47853-How-to-BUILD-your-own-Demagnetizer