I Forge Iron

My second ever welding project

So here are a few snaps of me and a few fiends at work making a security gate for the first time.

394886_520105361356578_703854403_n.jpg

This is the gate.

546915_520105291356585_1674856909_n.jpg

Doing some grinding.

25960_520105114689936_1485581521_n.jpg

Me welding.

546808_520104958023285_305123404_n.jpg

Is this a bad position to be in or is it OK to be above the weld?

6117_520104711356643_1975594630_n.jpg

My friend acting like a caveman.

19125_520104691356645_270191959_n.jpg

The gate is up.

3821_520104634689984_1104413884_n.jpg

Welding in the hinges.

Well this was a real learning experience for me. My biggest learning curve was to have a striking plate so as to heat up the rod before the actual weld so as not to mar the final product as well as to make a perfect weld the first time and not one of those blobby spotty ones.

Tell me what you think, any advice is welcome as I am a beginner.

"Sunburn" from a welder arc flash is WAY worse than sunburn. Get some gloves and wear sleeves, same with your assistants. You may also want to cover your neck. Yes, PPE can be hot and uncomfortable, but there are selections that can be made to help with your climate.

How's your back feel? That pose is not good for lifting, or staying still for very long, but if your back can take it then OK then...at least for now. Sawhorses are worth their weight in gold sometimes. They make the back feel better at the end of the day.

It is a simple gate that looks good. Is the client happy?

Phil

Client almost fell over with joy, we did the job at material cost only. The sunburn one I know about and 90% of the time my sleeves are down also I am blessed with a thicker and darker skin than my friends, he got slightly burnt from about 30 mins of arc flash whereas I was welding for little over 2 hours. Are the gloves really neciscary I feel more in control without them? Back is fine as I live on a farm and am use to the pose as well as lifting things like that. I will be one of those crooked old men like you see in cartoons one day.

It looks much better than some of my first welding projects, and much more ambitious.

And the classic beginner mistake, doing it for material cost only. You must add enough money to at least buy a pizza and a coke.

(And in the last few days it has been hot enough here to get sunburn in the shade.)

The repeated arc burn will damage your skin. It is the same as sunburn in how it can increase your chances for cancer, it can also cause premature aging.

I had a pair of welding gloves that were a single thin layer of quite soft leather. The felt like driving gloves, and fit perfectly. I loved how they fit till they wore out. I haven't found a pair like them since, but I haven't looked very hard. My mistake was wearing them as a general work glove!

Phil

well the lady we did it for was on her last cash so we did it for her for only material cost. then the place we did it at offered us free dinner for one of their dinner evenings as it was a restuaruant owned by a friend of hers who was going to let her stay there. Also she is going to do something in the future for us im sure. I will start the search imeadiatly for those gloves and I thank you for your advice!

Good on you Razz... From now on out, for some odd reason you'll now be subjected to a plethora of favors... :D....

similar to sharks smelling blood in the water... When friends, family, and communities know you're capable of sticking two pieces of metal together, it's too late... lol... I do most of my "favor" welding for materials costs, as I enjoy welding and helping people out... My area hasn't gotten over the economic slump, so some of these simple repairs to farm implements, carts, etc. really go a long ways... Karma will find you, as kindness is a priceless commodity these days. 

Good on you Razz... From now on out, for some odd reason you'll now be subjected to a plethora of favors... :D....

similar to sharks smelling blood in the water... When friends, family, and communities know you're capable of sticking two pieces of metal together, it's too late... lol... I do most of my "favor" welding for materials costs, as I enjoy welding and helping people out... My area hasn't gotten over the economic slump, so some of these simple repairs to farm implements, carts, etc. really go a long ways... Karma will find you, as kindness is a priceless commodity these days. 

Thanks man, my reason behind it is I enjoy it and if someone wants to pay me let them but I don't demand payment. Its my hobby not my job and I will keep it that way.

All that I was doing that day was the safety my uncle taught me, he studied welding as an art in college and he welds in slops ha ha. He said as long as I am in jeans, long sleeves and good boots with a good helmet ill be fine.

Where are the "long sleeves" ? in several photos you may have them on yet you rolled them up . Just an observation ! good luck with your project .

Sam

• 5 weeks later...

Client almost fell over with joy, we did the job at material cost only. The sunburn one I know about and 90% of the time my sleeves are down also I am blessed with a thicker and darker skin than my friends, he got slightly burnt from about 30 mins of arc flash whereas I was welding for little over 2 hours. Are the gloves really neciscary I feel more in control without them? Back is fine as I live on a farm and am use to the pose as well as lifting things like that. I will be one of those crooked old men like you see in cartoons one day.

Besides all the potential risk that come with extreme UV radiation bombardment, the first time you get distracted or complacent and touch your work you're going to REALLY regret not having them on. While I wouldn't recommend handling hot material with them as you'll destroy them in a flash and they don't offer much insulating protection, TIG ( aka: GTAW) gloves are a good choice for their size, fit, softness, and flexibility.

You can tell that you're young!

We all had that sense of immortality at your age.... and are regretting it today.  What's that old saying, "Youth is wasted on the young!"

So true!

Without harping on the PPE, let me just say that some saw horses and gloves will make your job actually go easier and faster, and that makes it far more fun to do.  I have big hands and use some very thick leather gloves when stick welding.  I found that my control is really good because I can grab the fresh stick near the contact point and "write" with it while my other hand is feeding the stick into the puddle.  Maybe not orthodox technique, but I absolutely stink at welding otherwise.

Don't try to reinvent the wheel or think that you're somehow immune from all the things us old codgers are dealing with today.

That gate looks great and I'm sure you've earned some good karma for it.  Donating time/materials to a worthy cause is a noble thing. And if it means there's a good meal at the end, that's even better!