I Forge Iron

Block anvil, Brian Brazeal inspired

Seen a couple folks make these up now, here's mine. 2" by 8" by 16", angle ramp/butcher shoulder, heavy radius then 2 decreasing size radii then a flat. It's just mild steel, I peened the flat face and it seemed to get noticeably yet slightly better rebound. gonna make a 3 leg stand that can set screw hold the anvil upright, on it's side for a long flat surface, or on it's long side for a big wide long flat surface. I will add some more shapes, some little cup/dents for dishing, also will add an L shape hardy hole, and other shapes as needed.

581987_4343678521110_1141900344_n.jpg

581987_4343678561111_705102691_n.jpg

makeshift work rest

551204_4343674241003_1119505739_n.jpg

551204_4343674321005_1924029951_n.jpg

551204_4343674401007_970865360_n.jpg

it's around 72 pounds, which is easily moveable, flippable. I think of it not really as an anvil, but as a swage block that can be forged on. More shapes and additions to come.

The "block" anvil has been around for 10 *times* longer than the london pattern. Which is improv again?

I have a small block anvil much like the one in the Roman museum in Bath UK, or the one shown on the Norse Stave Church, or the ones shown in the hausbuchs, or the one in the Camino Real museum here in NM, or the one used in the French and Indian war. I'll be using it as part of a Y1K setup during a week long campout around Labour day.

Steve Parker forged it for me using pretty heavy powerhammers. It is basically a 4.5" cube slightly tapered in the vertical dimension so the top overhangs the base *slightly*. He then forged a spike out of the base, weighs about 25 pounds and was heat treated 4340 IIRC.

Mine doesn't have the lovely mushrooming of the museum examples---yet.

Steve has made more including some fancier ones---more than 4 sides and heavier ones too. He's one of the demigods of using large powerhammers.

On the other hand what about all the folks hanging back because they don't have a anvil like the "pro's do"? Pictures can impede as well as help.

Philosophically I known many a person who gets stuck behind a camera documenting rather than focusing on doing---look at all the parents filming their kids first steps rather than being on their knees encouraging them and catching them.

About twenty years ago I went to a big SCA event that was making a big thing about it being the 20th anniversary of that event and the merchants were full of "commemorative items" none of them medieval or Renaissance. I decided that I would *make* something and stamp it with the commemorative year and so have something to remember it by that I could use in a medieval/renaissance context. I'm still doing that till this day

Frankly Scarlatti I don't care about my credibility; you are free to discount my posts or even ignore them. I've seen tons of examples on the net where people have copied other peoples pictures and presented them as their own so pictures don't tie to credibility for me.

Some people are picture oriented others are not. I don't consider one better than another. HOWEVER when I post from my slow dial up connection at my rural New Mexico location pictures are a pain making most forums unusable for me. I tend to remember this even when I am in town on a University set up.

that looks great sam very versatile and handy - i reckon you ground that pretty quick.! and i too am very pleased with your newspaper bib:) in terms of the thread hijack i personally LOVE to see a picture, because we dont have to be there to appreciate what a member is talking about - one of the beautys of the forum. i like the detail of sam always puts a pack of smokes for scale :) and i think i see your indulging in those "healthy" american spirits sam? i like the social detail :)

Yup, think you just pegged it Sam. Was going to wade into the BS, but thought better of it. <_<
Anyhow, I'm glad YOU posted pictures of what you've done. Thanks. I have a slab of 2" sitting in the shed I was going to use to build up an anvil, but maybe I'll hack a lump off it and go down this road. Like the Anvil/Swage idea.
I too like your 'safety' bib....and power tools while standing on a wet surface?, yep, a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do...

i feel your pain with the wet dirt floor..... it is a test of endurance a lot of these hoity toity, concrete floor and walls, safety boot wearing, metal smackers, will never pass. it is like the modern smiths initiation into the primitive past.
i will raise my warm beer fresh from the carton to you now sam, and may you never get tetanus! :P
did my first pattern welded blade two days back.
safety gear included....shorts.
i didnt want to scare the children..... or singe my parts closest to the molten flux extrusion! :P