I Forge Iron

WOW, WOW and WOW!

Yesterday I had the incredible opportunity to watch Elmer Roush demo at the Ocmulgee Blacksmith Guild monthly meeting. The title of this thread pretty much says it all. My face hurt from smiling so much as I watched him demonstrate. It is so amazing to watch someone who has a command of his craft the way Elmer does. I learned so much just watching his hammer technique and the efficiency in every blow. His hand forged locks and tools are an inspiration for me.

It was also my first time to a guild meeting. The meeting was at Eddie Raineys shop and his hospitality and that of all of the members of OBG to this first timer were awesome! To anyone starting out and a newbie like me I would highly encourage you try and find a local guild to join. The experience and camaraderie exceeded my expectations and I truly can not wait until next months meeting (though I do need the time to practice my skills.) And if you ever have the chance to see Elmer Roush in person you should really make the effort. It is a day I will always remember.

i was always vary pleased with OBG it was a great guild along with the Alexbealer guild, but i moved up to SC Charleston so cant make it to the guild meeting any more, was a member of both guilds for about 2 years. Eddie Rainey is a great smith and a good host to guild meeting

DK,
I always try to advise new guys to do exactly what you stated, one common thread across the country appears to be the willingness of smiths to open their doors, and teach, host and assist new members. I'm glad you had that opportunity, I well remember my first visit, I could hardly sleep the next night. Happy hammerin.

Dave,
You wouldn't recognize Eddie's shop now. He has doubled the size of his original shop and looks like he doubled his tool collection. It sure is nice!

more like double and half ...all the stuff he has on the walls is like going to a museum!