I Forge Iron

What is the benefits of ITC 100?

hammerkid

Okay, I`ve been building me a new gas forge and have 1" inch of inswol , then 1" of castable refactory on it. And I freind of mine was talking about getting ITC 100 to lightly coat the castable refactory , is there any big advatanges of doing this besides making it smooth?
Chris
PS should have pics of this new gasser soon.

ITC-100 is a black body IR reflector meaning it reflects heat back into the forge at high temperature.

You've seen pics of my variable volume forge. When I was testing burner mounts and such I fired it off many times but hadn't coated anything with ITC-100. After I coated it heat up time was about 25% what it was without.

It's also somewhat resistant to welding flux.

I recommend it, if you can afford it it'll pay for itself pretty quickly.

Frosty

• 5 weeks later...

from what i'v read it is a good UV reflector. And is usuly used to coat the wool. makes it last longer and will keep the wool out of your lungs which is a good thing. it also makes a hard coating on your wool. don't forget to use a kiln shelf or fire brick on the bottom to keep your flux from eating away at your refractory.

ITC-100 is a black body IR reflector, not UV. A forge doesn't produce a significant amount of UV in any case.

ITC-100 is not intended as s blanket stabilizer though it's better than nothing.

It is interestingly enough pretty resistant to flux.

Frosty