I Forge Iron

Borax flux warning

Well I did do allot of researching, my symptoms have subsided considerably now, feeling much better.. never really got any flew symptoms, when I went to the hospital they said my lung capacity was at 98% and anything above 90 was consider acceptable, I believe my source of discomfort was in my esophagus before the lungs, never did wheeze I took advil for the past three nights at bedtime and have improved to almost normal now.
thanks again and I'll be keep an eye on this forum... Thanks to all of you, you all seem like great people..
Regards,
Greg G

Edited by mod07
Weird Colors removed

I would suggest a blood test for metal poisoning.....

metals like zinc, copper,lead cadmuim mercury...etc... go into the body but do not get excreted.. metal poisoning is cumulative...!! there are some treatments for metal poisoning... chelation therapy..... look into it... there a story here about a guy who died young of Zinc fume poisoning...

Not being scary... just saying...

• 3 months later...

In agreement that we do not want to be paranoid, I am making this statement. I am a healthcare professional. As I have stated before, I grew up farming and in agribusiness and did about every crazy thing with about every material and chemical around. Some that have been outlawed now, we used to handle bare handed. Not "cool," ignorant. And like I was telling a young man the other day don't confuse ignorance with stupidity. I do things much diferently now. I don't cut galvanized with a torch(I don't ride my motorcycle at high speed standing on the seat using no hands any more either). But not that long ago I was grinding without a resporator and my buddy, the Tech Ed teacher scolded me on that one. It seems like I keep trying to stay ignorant but thanks to encouragement we can become more educated and as a result safer. We all need to be aware that inflamation brought on by exposure to vapors that are caustic or irritating in any way can result in making us more susceptable to many more serios problems, pneumonia to absorption of other elements more readily, to cancer. That is not even counting what the initial irritation itself results in. And as mentioned before many elements have a cumulative effect. So I applaud everyone for encouraging eachother to keep safe and please keep us posted as you learn of other safety precausions we should be taking. Metal poisoning is not a good way to go.

• 2 months later...

There are only a few compounds we we need to be paranoid about. If we are cautious enough to read the label, wise enough to wear appropriate protective equipment, and smart enough to know our own limitations, we will be safe from most hazards.

Most injury occurs because because of haste, over confidence, fatigue, and using the wrong tool for the job.

The golden rule is: If you don't know what you are doing ask someone who does.

That is what the forum is about.

• 2 weeks later...

When I was a kid (middle of the last century), boric acid solution (5%, I think) was commonly used for eye-wash. Later turned out that enough of it got down the throat (via the nasolacrymal duct) that some kids got poisoned by it. We still use boric acid powder (with some kind of free-flowing agent) as an ant poison - it isn't very effective, btw.

Borax, though, is really not very scary stuff, and people have been using it for a long while. I think reasonable care will be adequate - don't eat it, don't eat your sandwich without washing your hands after handling it, and mainly, stay upwind of the fire.

Chances are that burning off the sulfur in some of what passes for coal these days is going to be more dangerous to your lungs.

Fluorite fluxes, on the other hand, can be seriously dangerous.

WRT brazing disease - I did that to myself once, back around 1975... I was building a sculpture, and liked the color effect of burnt brazing -- so I coated the whole piece with braze, and burnt it as I went along. Next day I had a fever, aching muscles, cough, and nausea. Thought it was 'flu. I didn't find out otherwise until I got back to work and talked with a guy who used to be a welder, who said it used to be called "Bell-founder's Ague" because the people who cast bells used to get it a lot. Not a lot of fun, I'll tell you.

I've also read that cadmium fumes can kill you. Not because cadmium is so toxic (it is), but because the oxide will cause a kind of chemical pneumonia. Check the MSDS on any silver-solder before using it. Many of them contain - or at least USED to contain - significant amounts of cadmium.

PeteH