I Forge Iron

Hello from Vietnam

kanngia

Hi everybody,

My name is Khanh. I came across this forum a couple of days while wandering the internet looking for metalwork stuff, and fell in love with it. The info here is quite hands on yet scientific. People are very kind and helpful. I appreciate it. Keep reading from page to page, I forgot to make my first post to say hi to the community. I am very sorry about that.

Blacksmithing is really a true art for me, and I am a true fresher to it. I am thinking of building my home diy forge to start practising what I learn from here.

Thank you all.

Khanh

Welcome to the jungle Khanh, glad to have you.

I have some pictures of Vietnamese blacksmiths posted by an American smith who vacationed in your country. I post them every now and then to show folk how to improvise forge blowers, anvils and such.

If you'll click on "User CP" at the top of the page and edit your profile to show your location it'll help us remember where you live. There are more than 50 countries represented on this forum so it can make a lot of difference.

Advice a person in oh say Ireland will find useful may do you no good at all and it goes the other way as well.

Anyway, there is a lot of expertise you can call on to help you get started and keep going. Many of us have experience building working smithies with whatever is at hand and once you can build a fire hot enough to forge it the rest of the tools are not far behind.

Check out the "getting started" and "Blue prints" sections of IFI. Bring a lunch and something to drink though, there's many many hours of good reading available.

Then of course you can ask us whatever questions you have.

Frosty

Thank you all very much for your offer to help. Sure I will have questions when I tumble in troubles soon. For the moment, I will try to read first to avoid putting questions that someone has already answered.

I have updated my location as per Frosty's instruction and thanks chadj's welcome by "xin ch

Khanh, welcome to the site. Glad you're here. This site is full of info, and everyone is eager to offer any info you need.
Many years ago, I was in your country and one of the sites I will never forget was one day while trekking through the jungle northeast of what was then Tuy Hoa Bay. we came across some villagers building a fishing boat about 40' long, and to the side of the boat a few blacksmiths were forging chisels and one adze. The forge was a pit in the ground, and I thought that was an amazing thing to witness. I am still trying to figure out how they got that boat over to the South China Sea! We were quite a distance away from the sea.