I Forge Iron

New old guy from Pennsylvania

CRAFTBENDER

My wife and I moved to Pennsylvania from Texas about four years ago and have been renovating an old house. I am a retired fabricator/welder. My last real job was at a Boeing plant in Corinth, Texas as a fab/tech, a sort of model shop environment. Then almost ten years running my own business before moving to PA. I like doing ornament iron stuff and have sold quite a bit of it over the past few years. I also make tools and machinery on occasion. My avatar will be a picture of myself and a 1/3 size model of a 1923 case hay press that I built from blue prints. Most of my metal work is formed cold so forging is my weakest area. Maybe I can learn something here and possibly pass on stuff I have learned over the years.

One question: Does anyone know how to make gilders paste?

Welcome to the gang, glad to have you.

I don't know how to make gilder's paste but I'm sure someone will be along shortly to enlighten us all. I love good questions!

I'd sure like to see a better pic or three of some of your models, your avatar is such a tease!

What would you like to know about hot work?

Frosty

Went to a farm fair in Milan, TN several years ago. Fellow had a similar bailing machine running off of a hit-and-miss steam engine. Sold those little hay bales for $2 each to city folks who didn't know you can buy a full sized bale for less than that. Maybe they were just too cute to pass up.

Went to a farm fair in Milan, TN several years ago. Fellow had a similar bailing machine running off of a hit-and-miss steam engine. Sold those little hay bales for $2 each to city folks who didn't know you can buy a full sized bale for less than that. Maybe they were just too cute to pass up.

I set up my little baler during the autum of last year. Sold quite a few bales including several that my wife prettied up in holiday themes. Set up a canopy right in my front yard. They are very convenient for decorating. I was getting three dollars single or four for ten dollars.

I set up later than I wanted to but I was recovering from double knee replacement. Gonna start earlier this year if the Lord lets me live.