I Forge Iron

I am feeling pretty lucky today so I have to brag. I have just secured a rather large supply of the BIG torsion garage door springs. The material is about 3/8th in diameter, coil diameter of 6" (ish), 1 foot long. The father of a good friend of mine does garage door work and has a boatload of the things.
Now all I have to do is figure out what to use them for! You all now may bow at my feet and turn green with jealousy.

I have literally a half ton of various stock sizes of the springs from roll up doors, provided by my blacksmith friendly neighbor. He comes over and watches me work sometimes. He started bringing home the stuff that would otherwise be thrown out for the junk man-Springs, shafts, motors, gear reduction heads, long chains similar to bicycle chains, hollow tube, angle iron, whew, I'm gettin' tired listing it all.

The small stuff is good for hooks, make an upright mandrel, heat several inches at once in the forge, drop over the mandrel and pull. Instant straight stock!
The larger is good for punches, small chisels, etc.

Good neighbors Rock!

I recently got a couple car springs. Does anyone have a safe method for removing the paint from them? I've considered taking the forge outside and burning the paint off during the first heat. Does that sound safe? Will the paint/powder coat materials contaminate my forge? Thanks

the problem with burning it off is you are putting some pretty nasty stuff in the atmosphere that someone is going to have to breathe down the line, no easy solution there, wire brush is better I would guess, maybe some chemical would get it off, no good way. I have a lot of galvanized stuff and now wondering what to do with it. all my car springs are totally rusted and the paint long gone! kevin

I've used the citrus (orange) based paint stripped on a couple projects. the last one being my latest anvil that had a HEAVY painted finish. (several heavy coats) it removed the paint quickly....the thicker area's needed a second application. I found spreading the gell on the surface then covering with a damp shop rag helped. it prevented the gell from drying while the citrus did its magic.

I dont know how well it will work on the paint used on car springs, I have a feeling they are a powder coated paint......but I would say its worth a try.