I Forge Iron

My version of the "Russian rose"

let's see, at 25 minutes each, christmas presents would take about..... well my mother in law thinks I'm the king since I sent her one, kinda pays ya back twice, once the fun of making it, and the second, the look of happiness in the face of those who recieve. I sure don't make much money that way, but wealth comes in many different forms, once again, nice rose!

Not entirely sure why they're called that, but they are a fun project. I work on two at a time and they take about 20-25 minutes each.

The original plans I used, in here somewhere; iForge
did not call for a leaf or stem. I thought it needed it.
Hope you like it.

Story behind the name "Russian Rose" as told to me in '02 or '03:
Back in the '90's a group of Russian Master blacksmiths came to the USA as part of a cultural exchange. One of the items they taught was making a rose using flat stock. The Master smiths from the USA started calling it the "Russian Rose" in honor of the men from Russia. I was tought to use 1/8" x 1/2" flat to make the rose as that is what was used by the Russians. (I'm sure there are others that will have a different twist on the story but this is what I was told.) The USA masters then went to Russia for a time. Was not told what they were able to teach...

Story behind the name "Russian Rose" as told to me in '02 or '03:
Back in the '90's a group of Russian Master blacksmiths came to the USA as part of a cultural exchange. One of the items they taught was making a rose using flat stock. The Master smiths from the USA started calling it the "Russian Rose" in honor of the men from Russia. I was tought to use 1/8" x 1/2" flat to make the rose as that is what was used by the Russians. (I'm sure there are others that will have a different twist on the story but this is what I was told.) The USA masters then went to Russia for a time. Was not told what they were able to teach...

I've never made them with flat stock, I use 5/8" round stock.
I'll have to give the flat stock a try.

Thomas Dean is speaking on a different rose made of ''one piece'' flat steell whice is the original 'rassian rose' the other rose that spikenife shows here is ''rob gunter rose''
I had students coming from Rassia and all of them new to demo how to forge a ''rassian rose'' here it meets with thomas story
thomas I think you should send some information here hoe it is forged
Hofi

I've done a couple of these with varying degrees of success.
I let my best one get away from me.
(Pretty women can talk me out of anything)
But I will also try to post a picture of what I have.
With a pice of sheet and some bailing wire you can actually finish these out vary nicely.