I Forge Iron

Basic Fire Set

I thought I would post a photo of a bacis fire set I recently made. I was wanting some feedback from you. If you think it looks like it should be thrown in the scrap bin, let me know. Some one wanted a bacis set and this is what they got. They seemed very happy with it. And a "thanks" to my daughter for all my photos:)
Thanks

10759.attach

10760.attach

How come? Where where you having trouble with it?:confused:

Well, mainly just with the dustpan part of it ;)
I have a handle ready...but for the actual shovel, I was using a small bit of sheet metal...It got very wrinkled (which I was kind of expecting) and I just couldn't get the wrinkles out evenly afterwards. I believe the term is "shrinking" Although I have never done it before.
How did you make yours ?

There is something that I have learned when creating items for others. We as the creator/artist, what ever we wish to call ourselves; not just smiths, are our own worst critics.

Beside being a blacksmith, I am an artist in oil painting. Very few paintings have hit me right off as being very good. Some took a few day for me to stand back and see the beauty from a different perspective.

It works the same when we forge and create works of art. Step back and look at it. Ask this question, Would I want this item in my house or what ever its use is for. If you can say yes, you can be happy with your work.

I think you did a really great job with it. Take pride in what you make and everyone will see it.

I'm working on a set for my daughter in florida. Will take pictures and post tomorrow.

Well, mainly just with the dustpan part of it ;)
I have a handle ready...but for the actual shovel, I was using a small bit of sheet metal...It got very wrinkled (which I was kind of expecting) and I just couldn't get the wrinkles out evenly afterwards. I believe the term is "shrinking" Although I have never done it before.
How did you make yours ?

I have a 2" round ball for my hardy and that was mostly what I used to do my shaping. Used some heat also, makes it easier near the heel of the shovel where you have to stretch the metal a fair bit.