I Forge Iron

Christmas Tins

Good Morning All

What do you do with your Christmas Tins. I have a collection of many sizes, large ones that the three flavors of popcorn came in down to 4" x 4" tea containers. Considering most packaging today these are great; has anyone turned them into a flux capacitor? ;) Will You share?

-tks grant

I have three of the 3 flavored popcorn tins, one I made, or making rather since I haven't finished it yet, into a small "bench top" crucible furnace for when I only need to melt a small amount of metal. One that I have perlite in for anealing and the third is just sitting on the sidelines ready to get put in the game as some as it's needed.
They are great since so few things come in any kind of nice reuseable containers these days, heck even metal coffee cans are becoming less abundant any more with a lot of them going to plastic.
Some plastic containers are ok but you just can't beat metal ones, they are just more versatile and can be used for a lot of things plastic can't.

welder19

Being deep draw steel they make excellent repousse and chasing blanks Altoid tins are nearly perfect. They're just the right size for a first project, the lid's shallow so it's easier to work, etc.

Here's my first and second repousse and chased projects. The pyramid shapes are mine and Deb did the goose on Altoid tin lids the bear and cave man is on a cookie tin lid.

I keep my repousse and chasing tools in the cookie tin.

Frosty

10723.attach

10724.attach

Frosty, what a great idea, I have been fortunate enough to sit with BOB TROUT, a master Roycroft coppersmith, and he has availed me of many fine pieces of tooling, and I am just starting to get comfortable with sinking or dishing as it were. The mint boxes sound like a great way to fool around, thanks.

I haven't done this myself but methinks the popcorn tins would make nice roses. I would cut the bottom out unroll/flatten then layout and cut your petals. If this stuff will reprousse well then you could do some nice texturing for the petals. Like I said, I have not done this but I bet you could come up with some nice roses/flowers.

Thanks guys.

Using Altoid tins wasn't my idea and at the moment I don't recall who's it was. A few years ago a bunch of us on the Sandbox list (different name and server then) were discussing it and messing around. Then around 03, maybe 02 a good friend Gene Olsen visited us and brought his repousse tools. We spent many happy hours tap tapping away in the living room. Gene gave a one day class for stake repousse as well, what a day.

Anyway, one of the real pluses of using Altoid, etc. tins is you don't spend a few days making a nice copper box then have to sweat warping it irretrievably with the repousse. Surprisingly what little warpage occurs is easily corrected.

Frosty