I Forge Iron

blade finishing

What is the best way to get rid of hammer and slag pitting on the blade when polishing after the initial forging? Because there is only so much I can take off with the file before I start eating away at the width of the blade and changing it's shape.

What can you recommend?

Ater you do this for a while you will get better at preventing the formation of scale in the first place. Also if you will leave the blade on the thick side when forging, you w not only will have room to clean, but also there will be a de-carb zone when you heat treat, that will need to be removed afterward as well.

Edited by steve sells
typo's again

on the last couple heats you forge the blade on, lightly go over the bevels and over the ricasso/tang/blade area with a very flat-faced hammer.

save one heat after finish forging entirely dedicated to wirebrushing only. Get it to about orange and go to town on it with that wirebrush!

Also, if you're having problems getting the blade a little too thin, try forging it slightly thicker so you can get all the pits out without making the blade too thin. The thickness increase should be very slight, as a properly forged blade shouldn't have very many pits, let alone deep ones.

• 1 month later...