I Forge Iron

selling?

sorry if its a stupid question because i know im kinda far from this point but, when i actually think stuff is sellable, what would the best place to start to get sales be. or would it be best simply to make a website?

Edited by Drenched_in_flame

I'm in no way a professional as I haven't made a penny from this other than what a couple steak turners made the class in a silent auction. Not from no-one asking but from lack of time. However, since I have had a few offers, I suppose I could put in an opinion from what I've gathered and what I've done to wind up having to to turn people down.

I would caution people to not step too big and overlook the simple things like word of mouth. The best way to get that is to get your stuff out there. A good way is Gifts. They save you mall hassles, money and best of all, get your work out there even if it's just family and work. Most people have friends over who like to help out their friend's family. Like ripples in a pond.

Another silly thing would be to overlook free spots such as local classifieds websites, such as Kijiji and Craigslist, to get your local area aware of your forge. E-bay may be a good spot to sell the odd piece on. The more local buisness, the less lost to shipping costs early on. Craft fairs are definately a good way to sell things although many people I've talked to that do them usually find that they don't do as well as demos. People are usually more price-tag wary when they aren't awed by the show. A good quality video of you at work forging might overcome that. Relying on just big ticket items to me is also not the best way to do it IMO either. At least the little ticket items are more apte to sell between the big items. Remember, we're a niche market and trinkets/ souveniers are what the majority will spend on, especially at fairs and will get more people stopping and, once again, hopefully at least get word of mouth going. Before you know it, you're turning away people because you can't build something that big, etc.

Advertising is important as well. Proper portfolios with good pictures and proper buisness cards are good ways to get your contact information out. Don't be stingy with the cards. They may cost money but generally less than the lost buisness. Try and get a spot on the local news while at a demo. Lots are willing to do things like that to help the community and showcase local events. While at demo's, remember that you're networking, not just making another project. If you burn the metal, pull it out and show the kids. Chat up the parents. Compliment them on their kids. Ask them what they do. As a few of my friends working in the sales industry call it, Work the "Shmoozing".

And never forget, service with a smile. Always be easy to contact and as hepful as you can be. Bad buisness experiences travel by word of mouth faster than getting your name out there so don't ruin it.

That's My $0.02. I'm sure others will dissagree but that's what I'd do at the start while testing the water rather than jumping with both feet in.