I Forge Iron

my first forge

Astoldt

Hi all as you can tell by this being my first post that I am new to this hobby and looking to build my first forge. I was thinking a propane would be the cleanest option as I wanted to put it in to my garage. I am a mechanic by trade so I am already set up with torches and a couple of welders and am used to hot steel now I want to try something artistic. Any good sites for forge design and burner plans? Thanks adam

Another option would be to use a one-brick forge. It's a simple little deal made of a single soft firebrick and a bernzomatic torch. Nothing fancy---just enough to wet your whistle, give you an idea of whether or not you really want to put the time, effort, and resources into blacksmithing.

Here's a write-up on the one-brick and similar micro-forges...

anvilfire.com Blacksmithing FAQs

Welcome aboard :)

Welcome aboard Adam.

If you search IFI you'll find lots of discussions on gas forges, burners, their construction, purchase, materials, uses, abuses, etc. Look around, read some to familiarize yourself and feel free to ask questions.

Frosty

For a single brick forge? Oh yeah, oxy/acet = 5,700f give or take. It's WAY too much.

If a bean can or single brick forge is enough, a bernzomatic torch is plenty. I've known guys who welded in one.

A bean can forge is just that, a large size tin can, a 2lb coffee can is pushing the upper limit, lined with Kaowool, Insulwool, etc. ceramic blanket. A hole in the side large enough to admit the torch tip and a little wire or tin to make legs and torch mount and you're ready to forge.

Coating the Kaowool with ITC-100 will greatly increase efficiency and longevity of ceramic blanket but it's pretty expensive for a bean can forge.

Frosty