I Forge Iron

Lincoln 225AC

John Martin

Well I just got the Lincoln 225 AC stick welder, as a christmas present from "Santa". When I got it, the guy who had it, had it out in a shed, and it was covered in snow, but the thing only has vents in the back, and the back was agaisnt the wall, so that doesn't worry me to much. I'll get pictures when I have a chance.

I will be using this mostly for welding up billets, joinery, forgeweld prep, some small fabbing of things like a new forge, post vise stand, hammer stand, things like that. It can weld up to 1/2", so I think this should work for everything I listed. Any tips or suggestions???

Edited below:
I have like 300 6013, the red box. I have about 30 7018, 30 7014, and then like 60 or so unknown - either 6011 or 6013, and then about 60 unknown ones. I got the welder, helmet, chipping hammer, and welding rods for $125. I checked and to buy the welder right now is like 450 +/- so I think it was a good deal. And the guy only used it 4 times he said. the paint isn't bad but there are spots that are starting to rust, so im thinking of sanding the whole thing and re-painting.

10403.attach

these rods work well for me ,air liquide blueshield 2.5mmx300mm 70 amp aws e 6011,easy to hold an arc ,minimal splatter ,if you can keep your rods in a warm dry place.....enjoy your new welder BEST REGARDS

A good 'warm dry place' is an old refridgerator with a 100W light bulb. "leave the light on" as Motel 6 says, stays dry and warm enough for 'non-code' welding rods.

Ya done good on the purchase of the machine! should do any of the things you mentioned with no problems. Some of the rods (7018) you got with the machine may not be worth keeping, but if they are for non critical work may be OK.

On my Lincoln 225 (which is an AC/DC ,machine, but pretty much the same set up, I added jacks in the panel so I could run different length leads. You could also add inline connectors in your existing leads. The regular 7018 rods won't work well with only AC, but as someone already posted they make a 7018AC rod. 7018 are also prone to pick up moisture so if they haven't been sealed up tight, they are probably toast anyway. They are good little machines though, you will enjoy it !

I am still new to electric welding, but I got a Lincoln 225AC a couple years ago, and I love it.

I can lay a decent looking bead with 7018, but there's always a bit of slag / scale to clean up.

I have some 60's... either 6011 or 6013. Those things are pretty violent compared to the 7018's. It's harder to lay a nice "stack of dimes" bead with them, but man, they will weld through rust and crud like a champ.

A welder is like a pick-up truck or a tractor... you never knew how bad you needed one until you got it; and from then on, you can't do without it.

Don

i can say this about those 225 buzz box i have one that went through a salt water flood in 92 the fan coroded off i took the back off for air flow and it sets out side since i got it in 92 and still works just fine it needs new leads and the reason its out side is cause i don't care about it i have 3 more in the shed that are like new i guess im the lucky one i have had about 10 givin to me over the years good luck with it it will last for years

• 2 years later...

I have to say this much about those little welders. I own one myself and would buy another if needed. As far as thickness of welded metal goes. Your only limited to how much time you want to spend.on the.weld.