I Forge Iron

Hydraulic Press

markh

My press moves about 1.5"/second. I find id moves plenty fast enough. Some have presses that move 2-3"/sec and control can be a problem. The pump and cylinder configuration will determine the pressure of the press. I would lean more towards a 6" cyl rather than the 4 but then I have a blacksmith mentality (bigger is better). Mine is an 8" and my press pushes 50tons. I can squeeze a hot piece of 2" round in half if I am not careful. I personally feel 20 tons is minimum for a forging press though I have heard of 15 ton units. I just depends on what you are doing and the size of stock you want to work. Check out Don Foggs website, he has a page about hydraulic presses. Hydraulic Press . The book by Jim Batson available on his site is great. Good luck

• 4 months later...

We are using an 18 inch dia main ram with 2 x 5 " dia kicker/acuator/retactor rams. Pump motor HP is about 40 horses, gives us about 3100psi of pressure. This calculates out to 400 tons capacity (give or take a few ton). This will forge 12" square alloy steel at about 1000 to 1200 deg C with ease, have not reached its capacity for forging yet.
The kicker rams move the main ram up and down with no load at fairly high speed, its only when the kicker rams start to load up that oil starts to enter into the main ram. The main ram is connected to a pre fill tank via a pilot operated non return valve, so as when the press ram is being returned hydraulic pressure holds the valve open and allow the oil in the main ram to return to the prefill tank. The prefill tank has an overflow pipw to the main Hyd resevior. When the main ram is pulled down with no load on it by the kicker rams the oil is sucked into the main ram via the non return valve. Once the kickers start to load up a pressure regulating valve opens to also put oil coming from the pump into the main ram. If anyone is interested I can post some pictures
Cheers Phil

I converted a log splitter, it was a hand built so I don't really know how big it is, probably a 10 or so maybe 20? in any case Its got plenty of squish power, and speed doesn't seem to be an issue. I just put a jack hammer bit in there and upset is about 1/2" in one heat with no problem. If you have a big system I am sure you would use it and be glad it is big. But for those without the big stuff, any log splitter will make quite a powerful tool. IT them becomes setting up the dies. You will really like it.

• 1 month later...

This is our press, finally got around to taking photos
details are, 400 ton capacity, 18" dia ram x 24" of stoke, 2 x 5" dia actuator or kicker rams, 3500 PSI pump pressure. Control is from the console to the side. By removing to bottom die (easily done as it just sits in there) we can have 48" of daylight (ie we can put in a job 1200mm long to press (upsett)). Biggest we have forged so far under it was 12" dia 4140.
Phil

Forgot to rotate the photos, Oh well.

14807.attach

14808.attach

14809.attach

14810.attach

Edited by mod07
language

• 2 weeks later...
I converted a log splitter, it was a hand built so I don't really know how big it is, probably a 10 or so maybe 20? in any case Its got plenty of squish power, and speed doesn't seem to be an issue. I just put a jack hammer bit in there and upset is about 1/2" in one heat with no problem. If you have a big system I am sure you would use it and be glad it is big. But for those without the big stuff, any log splitter will make quite a powerful tool. IT them becomes setting up the dies. You will really like it.

Saintjohn: Did you make the press from the log splitter? If so can you post some pictures? I have a log splitter and would like to convert it. Just not sure how to go about it. William