I Forge Iron

forge welding copper?

saintjohnbarleycorn

i think you might be best getting a crucible and melting all the copper, then casting into a block/chunk, then forging the chunk.
I actually take my tig welder and i simply melt copper wire into a big puddle on my work table, after it solidifies i pic it up with tongs and toss it in my Gas forge and forge it to shape

A couple of years ago I watched a coppersmith family from Mexico at SOFA.
They said they took industrial scrap copper, melted it to a liquid and cooled it into a puck shape in the ground. They then heated this blank in a wood fire and beat it with sledge hammers to make sheet which was then formed into vessels.
Of course they did not show this but started with a big chunk of new copper
They did wonderfull work and a copy of the DVD can be gotten from UMBA Online

put some borax on it het orange almoast molten tet with a pice of copper and ee if it sticks and push it together and ya have copper bar insted of wire same idea as cable rope excapt it just melts and keep the brass out for now ya not doin makume gan yet

have you done this your self?

thanks for the replies I will try the different methods out and see what works.

I have torch welded copper and also used hard solders with it. Straight silver either fine or sterling will make a decent extra hard solder for copper. Copper oxidizes quickly so flux is essential and not after heating like you do with iron... you need flux on it when you start heating. I can't remember what flux I used but it's a commercial jewelers flux... not just borax.

I was very satisfied with one particular brand,but I'm not sure,if it is available in your area.It's called Sif-flux and contains bronze or copper particles.The color of this powder is pinky. If you'll happy with shaping copper bits and pieces,move on next level and try mokume-gane.Good luck

Borax works fine and is a common ingredient in many commercial fluxes.

However if you want to flux it before you begin heating you can dissolve borax in alcohol and dip the pieces.

Do I have to tell you to LET IT DRY BEFORE putting it in the forge? Hmmmm?

I've forged quite a bit of copper for funnsies and even sold a few pieces. I didn't notice any excessive oxidization and in fact get some really excellent colors cooling it in sawdust, straw, moose txxds, etc. Same colors as you see on Raku pottery.

Fun stuff.

Frosty

• 2 months later...
Borax works fine and is a common ingredient in many commercial fluxes.

However if you want to flux it before you begin heating you can dissolve borax in alcohol and dip the pieces.

Do I have to tell you to LET IT DRY BEFORE putting it in the forge? Hmmmm?

I've forged quite a bit of copper for funnsies and even sold a few pieces. I didn't notice any excessive oxidization and in fact get some really excellent colors cooling it in sawdust, straw, moose txxds, etc. Same colors as you see on Raku pottery.

Fun stuff.

Frosty

What kind of alcohol is best?