I Forge Iron

power hammer on Craigslist

It's a helve, probably a Bradley but I'm not very familiar so will be happy when someone more knowledgeable speaks up.

A good way to familiarize yourself with power hammers is start searching and surfing. check out. "Tilt Hammer"

Frosty

Hi all

classed as a helve hammer, the helve is the wooden arm, it provides the neccessary whip. Useful for forging in swaging dies, or drawing tapers from the front of the hammer, drawbacks are that the dies are not parralell except for when they are die to die or if the dies are set to be parallel on a certain size, like a leg vices jaws, they move in an arc.

Cheers
Phil

Assuming that this hammer does not have any cracked castings, this is not only a good deal at $300, but its good at $800 or more.

It is a bradley cushioned helve hammer, and it could be the 25#, but I think maybe a 50# or 75#, can't be sure without being there. The Anvil looks like the larger one.

If I didn't have three hammers, I'd drive to the coast and get it myself. There are plenty of hungry riggers out there who would bring it to you if you wanted it, but at 2500lbs, its a uhaul job. Rent a trailer.

forgemaster has a point about the arc and swing of the helve, this is a great drawing machine, but requires care in choice of dies. I would use some flat dies and use handheld clappers for making more intricate shapes.

The treadle is not supposed to be wood. Original is steel pipe, bent with a flat on each end with bolt holes, easily replaced.