I Forge Iron

homemade cnc plasma

devon blacksmith

Lots of info at CNCzone.com-Machinist Community Forums - Welcome Page .

But a word of advice, the difference between the component parts and a finished machine always seems a lot, but the most important part of a CNC machine is the integration between the hardware and the software, and that is what you are paying for.

On the other hand, I've been drooling about Torchmate (Torchmate CNC plasma cutters, CNC cutting tables. Automated computer numerical controlled plasma cutting machines cut complex metal shapes.) myself a bit, so if you can look at a complete kit with software and controllers it can be worthwhile.

Anyway, post lot of pictures.:)

• 2 months later...

I have a Torch-mate. what would you like to know?.. and yes its worth the money, What i did was buy there smaller machine a 4x4, never even set it up before i modified it to a 4x8 machine. I just extended the table size, I also have a water table under it to catch the dust. it is a software change in the Cad program that makes it any size you want, I use it every day. I run a Hyper-therm 1000 plasma cutter with the machine torch. add to it the automatic torch height control, this is a must. when the plate sometimes bends, it self adjust for it, if not you have to do it manually, and will go blind watching it. On average I cut 3 to 4, 4x8 foot sheets a week. It is some bucks all at one time, get the biggest plasma cutter you can get, it will save you later. time your done, table, PC, plasma cutter, learning curve on steel, your going to spend $10,000.00 to $15,000 depending on what size machine you go with. The people there are really good to talk with, and help you. Tell them i said to call for help, Jeff Prater at iron Creations LLC. and no I don't work there, but am very happy endorsing there product!!! This is a old picture of it, I added a water table under it since this picture. Blacksmith Forum

Edited by ironcreations

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

From scratch or kit built? Either can be done IF you have talent, parts source,time and money. Don't forget the add ons. Plasma cutter, big compressor, air dryer, exhaust system, water table ect. I bought a table then spent almost that much again for the rest. About 20K so far.
Monkeysmith where are ya?
Ken

I have a Longevity WeldAll LS-200PI multi-purpose plasma cutter and welder. Im wondering how I would be able adapt this machine to a cnc machine.
The specs say that it is compatible because it is a pilot arc plasma cutter.
I would like to know what process I will have to go through to make this happen. How would I set up the relay for the trigger? If possible, can I create and would it be cheaper to create the table setup from scratch and just buy the software to install for the system?

here are the specs of my machine off of Longevity's website:

Specifications:

General Specifications:
Genuine Infineon IGBT based electronics
Operating Voltage: 220/230/240 VAC 50/60Hz Input
Open Circuit Voltage: 60-80V
60% Duty Cycle @ Rated Amperages
Weight: 68 lbs
Thermal Overload Protection with Large Size Cooling Fan
Size: 17L x 8W x 11.5H inches

20-50AMP Plasma Cutting Specifications @ 75psi:
3" Per minute @ 3/4 " Steel (Severance Cut )
7" Per minute @ 3/4" Thick Steel
17" Per minute @ 1/2 Thick Steel Minimum requirement for air compressor: (4.0 CFM)
Aluminum Cut Up to 1/2" on AC plasma cutting!

5-200AMP AC/DC TIG Features:
Up Slope, Down Slop Control: 0-10 Seconds
Post Flow Control: 0-25 Seconds
Base Current Control: 5-250 Amps
Peak Pulse Current Control: 5- 250 Amps
Pulse Frequency Control: .5-25 Hz
Pulse Width Control: 10%-90%
AC Frequency Control: 20-100 Hz
AC Balance Control: 30-70% (for Aluminum)
Aluminum Weld Up to 1/2"

20-160AMP Stick Features:
Arc Force Controls the amperage from 20-160AMP

Pilot Arc and Contact Start:
Pilot Arc plasma cutter starting technology allows you to start and maintain an ARC as long as the trigger is pressed. This ARC is a similar to the ARC you will see from an oxy fuel cutting torch. In addition, you are able to hook these torches up to CNC machines because contact with the workpiece and the tip of the torch is not required. Also because there the starting technology is not High Frequency, your plasma cutter does not interfere with CNC Computers. Pilot Arc torches also have longer consumable life because you can maintain a distance when starting an arc.

Let me know if creating the table from scratch is a feasible path and the steps that I will need to take to make this happen.

Thanks again.

From scratch or kit built? Either can be done IF you have talent, parts source,time and money. Don't forget the add ons. Plasma cutter, big compressor, air dryer, exhaust system, water table ect. I bought a table then spent almost that much again for the rest. About 20K so far.
Monkeysmith where are ya?
Ken

Dragons lair says it very clearly. All of the components, whether built from scratch or from a kit, will cost in that range. Plasma cutting is a dusty dirty process, requiring DRY air , a good electrical system, a computer and a little understanding of CNC control.

I bought a PlasmaCam system and have had good results and reliability with it for several years now. I did make an effort to build/buy the proper electrical resources and grounds, air supply and dust control.

When buying their system, they outline the internal mods that need to be made for the various top brands of plasma cutters to work with the control system.

I'm not sure what modifications are needed for your brand plasma cutter but whatever controller you buy will dictate the mods that are needed to allow the CNC system to control it.