I Forge Iron

Lets see some christmas gifts!!!!

A little cable bladed fix blade for dad..Still needs the final sharpening as you can tell.Still have to add a few more coats of tung oil as well..the pattern ended up so small because at the time all I had was 1/2" cable..I had to stack three pieces on top of each other and weld them to make a decent sized billet....Dad is a "less is more,function befor form" type of guy..So I made this one fairly simple and light weight..Nothing special but I think he may like it..
Picture_1521.jpg

100_1496.JPG100_1488.JPG100_1265.JPG100_1153.JPG

These are four things made for Christmas this year as well as some candle wall sconces, heart hooks and some other little "stocking stuffers". The roses are for my daughters' anniversary seeing as how it is on Dec 23rd.
The "ANT" can be used as a watermelon holder for the table or lined with moss, filled with dirt and planted with flowers. The wife has two that she uses for both purposes.

rcs7- That BBQ set looks great! Have you used antler before? I just heard in the bladesmithing forum about stabilizing horn, antler etc. Have you had any experience with that? I plan on using some antler as handles on a fireplace set.

When I was up in Wisconsin at Thanksgiving Dad and I made these for my 2 brothers. Dad made one of these for me 20 years ago. I make the nails and Dad and I fab them up. He wondered why I wanted our initials and the date stamped in the bottoms. He didn't understand. I left them with him because he was going out for supper with the 2 brothers, so he could see their reaction. Dad told me my oldest brother "kinda puddled up". That was the reaction I knew he would see. I felt the same thing working with Dad, I don't get to see him often, and treasure these as much as my brothers.

Kinda hard to see in the pics, the center figures are brassed, and the outside crosses are torch blued.

10057.attach

10058.attach

10059.attach

Gary/Sabre, thanks for the compliments. The fork was a real trial and error type thing.

As for stabilizing the antler, I have no idea. :)

They have been in my shop all summer (very hot) and before that I have no idea how they stored prior. My brother picked up a bunch of them from a guy at a garage sale.

What bladesmithing forum did you find the info on stabilizing antlers, seems like I need to be educated. I sure hate to give them away only to fall apart.

Russell

rcs7: below are the text of a pm from Mike Turner in answer to the same question I asked, and a link to a short thread mentioning stabilizing. Maybe it's more important for knife handles as they are thinner? I don't know. Evidently it's a good idea to seal the horn/antler to keep it from expanding and contracting. I'd like to hear from someone who has used it as you did (and as I intend) as a handle with a hole drilled in the end and epoxy (?) to adhere it?

Hi Gary,

Well here is a some up of stabilizing, this is from K & G's website who does the stabilizing.

STABILIZING
We do custom stabilizing. We are the original custom stabilizers for the knife making industry. We custom stabilize wood, stag, ivory, horn, bone, oosic etc. Why Stabilize? Stabilizing helps items become dimensionally stable and helps minimize or totally eliminate shrinking, cracking, expanding, warping and will not absorb water. Stabilizing items help them to become impervious to oils, raised grain when sanded and will take a very high polish.

Here is there website K & G

Now whether you need to depends on you. I just used a piece of elk antler on a knife that was supplied by the young man I helped build 2 knives he did not want to pay to have it stabilized. It was nothing but trouble it kept shrinking and expanding and warped.

Now using antler as a fire set handle material you may or may not have a problem, but keep in mind that it will shrink and do all kinds of things which may cause problems with the way you attach it.
Mike Turner

http://www.iforgeiron.com/forum/f14/completed-knives-8035/