I Forge Iron

anvil help

I forge with m_brothers and i am looking for all of my own equiptment. i am looking for a reasonable price on a blower,and an anvil (a good beginners anvil, 125-200#). if anyone has an extra one it would be great if they could contact me. also any good advise for starting out and what tools are needed would be greatly appreciated. the tools i have now are a drill press, hammers, tongs, and i will soon be making my forge. the tools that i will eventually be getting are a bench grinder, portable grinder, and a belt sander.

Thanks much, Quentin

Edited by Quentin

Yup saying you want something cheap and then not providing a location for stuff that can cost more than a topgrade new anvil in shipping is kind of counterproductive.

Are you sure you must have an "Anvil" instead of an improvised anvil that would be free or very cheap? I've had many a student demand an anvil when what they wanted to do, (make japanese swords), was and is done on something that doesn't look like a london pattern anvil at all!

I have an 120 pound anvil and a squirrel cage blower (220v electric) which you can have for free if you collect. The anvil isn't very good but it would get you started and comes with a tree stump anvil stand. If I finish my current hardy project before you call I can even let you have either a finished hardy or probably better yet a blank so yopu can forge your own.

Quentin, I am assuming that you are located in wisconsin, and I have a little forge set-up that could be had really reasonably--I also have a nice Tiger blower on the original three-legged stand. post up your profile here so everyone knows where you are at, and then p.m. me if you are interested in my forge&blower. I am near Elroy, Wis. Thanks, Andy

I think they are getting fussy over weights and sizes of carry-ons now days; not like back in the late 70's where I had a 90# carry on packed with scrap from an abandoned cabin---rotted away located about 9000' up in the Rockies. It would give TSA palpatations nowdays though they did deal well with my two dufflebags, one with 50# of coal and the other with tools and materials I picked up at Quad-State; but they were *checked* luggage.