I Forge Iron

Welding Wrought Iron, HELP!

:confused:The wife wants me to weld some wrought Iron brackets together to make some furniture. It will actually look nice when it's completed BUT before I go and screw up a bunch of brackets I need to know how to do this properly. I'm using my Lincoln 180 Mig welder. Do I use gas with this kinda welding? What kind of wire should I use?, what should I set the wire speed at and at what temp setting... The Iron is about 1/4 inch thick. This is new territory for me and could use tips before I go burning up a lot of brackets :p

Edited by stixman55

Cheap Chinese crap but what isnt when it comes from China. So to be honest I really dont know what it may be made of. It will crack if I hit it hard enough. and it's not too heavy. Here is what the stuff looks like9716.attach. Really, any advice will be apriciated, I just need to get an Idea where I'm starting with my setup for a weld.

I would suggest drilling and tapping threads for joinery. That stuff is cheap pig iron cast. I don't know about MIG welding it, I've had some luck preheating to 400F with a torch and stick welding with nickle rod. Once you get a couple welds to stick, there's a good chance it will stretch and warp and break in two somewhere in the middle of the piece. I built a gate using those cast pieces once, I think it was what convinced me to learn blacksmithing, so I could make my own...

:confused:So, anybody know how to weld Cheap Chineese Pig Iron with a mig welder? It's a cosmetic thing that were doing and drilling and taping would only be a last resort. I know someone has done this. Perhaps I could braze it?:confused: Any ideas will certainly be apriciated... hell, I know I'm in the right place for this one.:D

• 2 weeks later...