I Forge Iron

shop sculpture

Arpspasm

OK, Here goes, Nice design, mediocre execution. I don't know how long you have been doing blacksmithing but some of your forging techniques need work. I don't have a problem with the short rays but your long rays have very poor forging on the ends. They look like they were cold forged and maybe they were because you don't have a fire big enough to draw them out further. Your welds are not the best that I have seen but then mine aren't all that good either but that is what grinders are for. The spirals going in to center could have been more uniform if a jig was used but you have to make one to use one. Overall it is an exciting looking piece from a distance. The center medallion is very nicely done and helps to give it depth. It all looks good against the corrugated panel.Not to hard on you I hope.:cool:

OK, Here goes, Nice design, mediocre execution. I don't know how long you have been doing blacksmithing but some of your forging techniques need work. I don't have a problem with the short rays but your long rays have very poor forging on the ends. They look like they were cold forged and maybe they were because you don't have a fire big enough to draw them out further. Your welds are not the best that I have seen but then mine aren't all that good either but that is what grinders are for. The spirals going in to center could have been more uniform if a jig was used but you have to make one to use one. Overall it is an exciting looking piece from a distance. The center medallion is very nicely done and helps to give it depth. It all looks good against the corrugated panel.Not to hard on you I hope.:cool:

I agree with all your points and as I said I had to rush it to have it finished for their launch. Not that I am making excuses but it wasnt finished to the degree I would have liked. I also am no stranger to tidying welds up with the angle grinder, I wish I could afford a mig as I find them a lot neater than the tiny stick welder I own.
Thanks for the critiqueing its also what I was after (as well as the ego stroking :P)

• 3 weeks later...