I Forge Iron

making damascus

stryder

Ralph:

Yes it does, along wih a few other things...the stuff is very agressive and well, it'll eat right through most refractoires in a heartbeat. This is why I use kitty litter and a drip plate in the bottom of my forge. It catches any flux that happens to flow, drip or just move off the bar, rather than have it eat into my forge bottom.

JPH

Jim,
Thanks. I thought I had read that in one of your other posts or books, but was too lazy to look.
Have you tried a Hi-Phosphate refractory? I ask as a buddy of mine has been using it for round 6 or so years with good survivablity to flux. But not something as agressive as your, to be sure. But seeing as how you have a working solution currently. And why change horses in the middle of the race too.....

Ralph:

No, haven't tried that yet, maybe I will on my next re-lne...I get to do that about every 3 to 4 months. I do alot of welding...

On the flux...I have another one of my bright ideas on that, I need to investigate it further. I am always tweeking and experimenting with my recipe, and sometimes I get a hit...usually it's a miss...hard to "improve" the "steel glue" so far...but maybe this will.

JPH

Howdy!! Just a note...just finished posting pics of that finished khanjhar I did for that article on Ladder Patterning on my website. All in all it turned out OK for an Olde Fart like myself...

xxxx...I wish I had me around when I was starting out... Woulda made things of so much easier...

JPH

Edit: words edited