I Forge Iron

100 ton power hammer

I have a Davy press broucher that shows where an approx 108 tonne hammer was replaced with a press capable of heavier work than the hammer. The press was of 5000ton capacity. This hammer stood 63 feet high, had built on top of it a pivot supporting 2 x 200ton post cranes. The anvil block for the hammer weighed 1000tons and was cast in place. Davy acutually replaced the hammer by building the press inside the hammer frame and leaving the hammer frame there thereby allowing the 2 post cranes to be utilised for the press. Big stuff!!!!!
Cheers
Phil

From the photo, I would say single acting steam cylinder, IE lifts only.
I worked at a shop that had a 25,000# double acting hammer. You could feel the hit 32 city blocks away. It hit with a million foot pounds of energy. The first couple of blows were not a "bumpy" as the metal was greatly deforming and the hit was absorbed more slowly. The finish hits where the forging was almost finished were the hard, loud hits.
For reference, the double acting hammers would hit much harder, as they are moving much faster at hit all things else the same. The 25,000# hammer had about a 5' diameter piston, and it was supplied with 145# 345F live steam. That ram was moving when it hit!!!