I Forge Iron

please help - mysterious torch problems

I've been using the Meco Midget oxygen-propane torch, which I purchased from Otto Frei some six months ago, in a kit along with regulators and hoses. (You can read its specs, if that would help, here: Meco Midget Torch Kit For Oxygen/Propane With Hoses & Gauges-No Tanks : The Meco Midget Torch : Torches : Tools & Metals : Otto Frei The Meco Midget Torch - Jewelry Tools, Jewelry Supplies, and Findings

For a few months, using it quite seldom in fact, things worked fine: I soldered several jump rings and balled up some sterling silver wire for my jewelry. I didn't use it for a couple of months while traveling, and then returned to work and when I fired it up next, I began to have the strangest problem.

When I add the oxygen to the mix, regardless of the flame size or gas balance, it pulses, the flame growing and shrinking, at a rate slightly faster than once per second. It persists at this, even after being allowed to burn for five or six minutes--presumably more than enough time for the torch to warm up.

My tanks are nearly full and my regulators are at the same settings I was using before; the room temperature and other environmental conditions are the same; I removed the regulator from the tank and put it back on and re-checked for leaks, finding none; no one else has used the torch nor has anything, in fact, happened in that room to change the conditions under which the torch is being used (other than ants and spiders wandering around, I imagine, and perhaps the occasional moth or midge fluttering around...) .

I spoke with the only person I know who might know something about torches and such, and he speculated that I'm using the wrong tip and/or a torch made for use with acetylene. I doubt that Otto Frei sent me the wrong torch kit--though it is strange that the regulators they sold me seem to be for pressures far, far greater than what I use (1-3 psi) and are extremely difficult to adjust finely enough for my torch--which is also extremely touchy (the slightest adjustment seems too large and it takes me forever to nudge the valves to the right volume...I'm forever blowing the flame out while trying to get it right...one almost needs the delicate touch of a safecracker to manipulate the torch's knobs, etc.) but I have simply assumed that I am still learning these skills.

I'm learning jewelry fabrication as best I can, from books, websites, and forum discussions because I live out in the sticks. I don't know anyone out here, and no other jewelry-makers here or elsewhere, and can't afford to travel to classes.

I hope someone here can help me diagnose this pulsing problem. Until it is solved, I can't make any use of the torch. I contacted Otto Frei for assistance but they want to talk to me while I'm at my soldering station, and I dont have any sort of headset or speakerphone to use to make that process efficient and was hoping, instead, that someone with torch experience would recognize my symptoms and give me some direction or a troubleshooting flowchart--or any ideas or guesses or references or something! I would gladly bake a delicious pie, your choice of flavors, and send it to someone who can help!

Thanks in advance,
Terri Kiplinger

Welcome aboard Terri.

Rural N. Cal is old family homestead country for my clan, Grandmother was born, second generation in Susanville, when it was mostly tents. I even have a little Modoc blood. Not that it makes any difference of course.

Sounds to me like you really need to get a phone to your soldering station or bring the torch home.

If I had to guess I'd say you either have liquid propane entering or splashing into the reg OR the wrong regulator.

I've used an Allstates oxy/propane torch for a couple decades now and have never had a similar problem, including being overly sensitive to adjustment. The sensitivity makes me thing the reg is wrong or it's been damaged in some way, perhaps just a little moisture making it sticky.

In any or those cases there's little you can do yourself as they require either exchanging regulators or taking one apart. Do NOT take your regulator apart! EVER!

Good luck and please let us know what happens.

Frosty

Edited by Frosty

It is likely the acetylene regulator. As they get older, they have a tendency to pulse at lower pressures because the diaphragm gets stiffer (sort of like me trying to run a mile...LOL). Try turning the secondary regulator pressure up to 8 or 9 lbs and see if it stops the flutter; if so, leave the torch valve open and slowly drop the pressure until it starts chattering again. You will then know where the lowest usable point is on the gauge. Control the flame with the torch valves and you should be able to use it. Your fine tuning problems also point to insufficient acetylene pressure - and why slight valve adjustments blow out the flame.

I have an old Victor regulator that would hold 2 lbs when new - about ten years later, it will not go lower than 4 lbs without making noise and fluttering.

HeronMoon where in northern Ca are you ? Crescent City here
on you're meco torch sounds like an adjustment problem with regulators
I have a Hemrod torch much like the meco and have also have used the meco
some. On the hemrod you use the large tip to adjust youre regulator PSI like this adjust both ac/ox reg's to 0 psi then you turn ac on torch full on ! Now
turn ac tank reg adjuster on slowly untill ac flame stops smoking then you turn
on ox reg untill you get a 5/8 long clean flame just like any victor torch flame
now if done right the ac & ox regs are putting out about 3 psi each witch is what the Hemrob needs to work right ! --- I think you have the same problim
with you're torch ck the book on adjusting the regulators ?