I Forge Iron

Edge quenching?

char

I've made a couple of kitchen knives for the relatives (if they turn out ok) this holiday and I've just edge quenched them. I was washing them up and I realized that I didnt know if I was supposed to temper them the way I normally would. One of them also developed a pretty good curve that it didnt have before, can I just straighten as I would any other? Thanks gentlemen

Char
First yes any carbon steel that is hardened needs to be tempered to reduce the stress in the steel. It is hard to tell you at what temp without knowing the type of steel you used. As far as the curve is it a sideways curve? If so the best time to staighten a blade is straight out of the quench when it is still above 400 degrees.
You can try and straighten it after the temper as well put your blade in the oven at 400 degrees for 2 hours then with heavy gloves take it out and try and straighten it.

Bob

We recently tried commercial lawn mower blades tossed by the University Grounds crew: Would *not* harden to brittle in oil or water; pretty useless for us.

Junkyard steel lists are not known for their accuracy as you will learn the first time you try to harden a microalloyed stress hardened leaf spring...

Edited by ThomasPowers

there are only 2 ways to know for sure,

1) ask manufacturer, and that is assuming they never ran out of stock, and had to use a substitute, to make quota.

2) Lab testing, not cheap, ($200 a test or more) but my old teacher was a Gov't test engineer. He took them to work for testing himself. Its much safer, and easier to buy new steels when we need to know what it is.

there are only 2 ways to know for sure,

1) ask manufacturer, and that is assuming they never ran out of stock, and had to use a substitute, to make quota.

2) Lab testing, not cheap, ($200 a test or more) but my old teacher was a Gov't test engineer. He took them to work for testing himself. Its much safer, and easier to buy new steels when we need to know what it is.

Fastenal offers spectral analysis of steel samples for alloys and carbon content for MUCh cheaper than that, ask your local Fastenal branch about it.