I Forge Iron

Price check - 7 inch post vice

I don't have a picture but there's a local guy selling a beauty. The vice is a monster and is nearly flawless. Spring and jaws look original and in very good condition. Vice is on it's own welded stand. Base is probably 30 inches of half inch plate steel.

What should I offer him for it? I know the smaller ones around 5 inch would go for 100-150 and maybe even a bit more in great condition with a nice stand.

Around here a 6" vise at about 100 pounds tends to go for between $250 and $300. An 8 inch 200 pound vise just went on EBay for $600. So I figure $250 to $350 for a 7" vise would be a bargain.

Prices have significantly gone up on blacksmithing tools with the presence of EBay and the dramatic increase in the number of people doing blacksmithing over the past 10 or so years. About 16 years ago tongs were going for about $4 each and a 5 or 6 inch vise in excellent condition was $40 to $50.

in the uk realy big vices and heavy anvils ,are usualy completley wrecked ,or as new ,its not often you find them lightly used, is it the same at your side of the pond.

Most I've seen have been pretty roughly used. They tend to be a little on the dinged and abused side but not totally wrecked. Except for this Hay Budden this guy was trying to sell me. Top half was cracked and the face plate was literally half missing. I don't know how you can abuse an anvil to that point and not completely break it.

I think the guy is asking 400 for it. It's alot of money in my opinion. What do you guys think about spending the extra cash for the extra 2 inches of jaw and a stand? I have seen numerous 5 inch vice in usable shape for 100-150. I figure the stand is probably worth 50-100 just because 2 1/2' diameter of 1/2" steel plate isn't cheap along with the welding, cutting and fab time involved. Edited by Mulciber

Size does matter, the stand doesn't as far as I am concerned for determining a price. The larger the vice or anvil, the larger the project that you can do on it. The price seems reasonable, if it is in good shape. I am a bit confused as to your description of a vise that was abused and cracked. Is the vise you are looking at abused and cracked? If it is abused and cracked then the price is way too high. If it is in good shape, then I would consider it a rare find.

Edited by UnicornForge

I paid $125 for a 7'' Columbian in great condition about 10 years ago and thought I'd gotten a good deal. Nowadays I'd go up to $500 for one in excellent if one came up.
It's handy to have a big vise like that, but the one I use the most is a 5 1/2'' heavy duty Indian Chief. This one is bolted to a heavy bench with a 4'' thick glulam top through bolted to the outside corner of the building. The bench has legs made of railroad ties sunk 2 feet in concrete. The leg of the vise sits tight in a steel socket set into a concrete footing. There is a piece of 1/4'' steel plate as a top surface of the bench, glued and screwed to the wood. This allows hot work to be set down to chalked dimensions or layouts . The vise is near the left hand corner. At the other end is bolted a #6 fly press which also benefits from a substantial and immovable base

Size does matter, the stand doesn't as far as I am concerned for determining a price. The larger the vice or anvil, the larger the project that you can do on it. The price seems reasonable, if it is in good shape. I am a bit confused as to your description of a vise that was abused and cracked. Is the vise you are looking at abused and cracked? If it is abused and cracked then the price is way too high. If it is in good shape, then I would consider it a rare find.

Nah the big vice is in great shape. The smaller vices for 100-150 are the ones in beat up shape. I was saying that a certain fellow was trying to sell me a cracked anvil. It was in sorry shape. Definently a doorstop.

Then if I was in your position, I would run down and purchase it while I had the chance. My largest vise is only 6.25 inches across and weighs only 100 pounds. Some day I would like to have 7 inches or even 8.

Nah the big vice is in great shape. The smaller vices for 100-150 are the ones in beat up shape. I was saying that a certain fellow was trying to sell me a cracked anvil. It was in sorry shape. Definently a doorstop.

Then if I was in your position, I would run down and purchase it while I had the chance. My largest vise is only 6.25 inches across and weighs only 100 pounds. Some day I would like to have 7 inches or even 8.

**Takes off blacksmith boots and puts on track shoes**
I'll talk to the guy about buying it today. If I do I will post pics. Thanks for all the feedback guys