I Forge Iron

Welding cable......

You can make a v-block to fit in the hardie hole, but without one you can use the step of the anvil. You have to get the cable hot enough to tighten first to remove all the air space.( I tighten by continuously turning and hitting on the step using light blows) this is done so you can get a nice even heat when welding. Remember to only put the part you want tightened or welded on the anvils step. The first objective is simply to get the tip welded together. There is no telling how much cable I ruined before I got it welded (the first time). Good Luck.

100_2390.JPG

I still need to get cable. Lol, were are some places that I can look or call for GOOD cable that doesn't have a synthetic or rope core??

Or a rdiulously large minimum order..Or a foolish ammount for shipping :confused: Im looking too..

Or a rdiulously large minimum order..Or a foolish ammount for shipping :confused: Im looking too..

As CurlyGeorge mentioned, try the crane companies, but ask for the wire chockers. This will not have the grease on it or if it does it won't be as bad. I have seen this wire rope/cable chockers anywhere from 3/8" to 2" in dia. . They will usually discard them if any wires are broken or if they are kinked too badly. Tell them what you plan to do with it too. No tellin' what all you could go home with! :)

Good advice guys but there isnt a crane or hoist company within a 100 miles of here.Im in a very rural part Eastern,Ky.Theres only two places that Ive found within three counties of here that sell it and they all have large minimum orders..Logging outfits and the mines use it but they all get theres from the two previously mentioned places..Im sure sooner or later Ill plug around sometime and find some...

I've been using 1" cable that has normal rope down the middle. I pull it apart & put 5/16" solid spring steel in the middle then put it back together.
Making a throwing axe out of it at the moment & it gives a great affect when the solid bit comes through the rope! Will post some pics of it when it's done :)

That is an attractive hawk, I might have to give that a try.

Something else I've wanted to try is open the cable and sprinkle with nickle dust or filings.

High strength cable is used everywhere you just have to know who to ask. As said crane and wrecker outfits use it and the crane outfits HAVE to change it out when worn or kinked. Also, there are surly well drillers in your area, most use cable. Dirt moving companies use high strength cable on the dozer winch drums. Logging outfits use miles and MILES of high strength cable as do mines.

I'll post more as I think of them.

Frosty