I Forge Iron

Is anyone on the site interested in coming to the forge at Westpoint (just 1and a half miles from Junction 30 Exeter Services on the M5) as a social/learning event ?

I am asking now so that if there is a good response, we can schedule it in for some time next year, and fit it in in between our normal courses which are at the planning stage for 2009 at the moment.

There are 12 hearths and three portable forges available, and I am proposing that we could make some of the items listed in the blueprints or just have a general forging day.

It would be good to meet face to face, take part or just watch, we can all learn something from each other.

If you are interested please register an interest here on the site.

Thanks guys, noted

Rich there are more than you think, I can list at least sixty professional smiths that are sent details inviting them to compete at the Royal Cornwall Show, there are many more that are amatuer or students of the craft.

• 2 weeks later...

As soon as we have details of other events we are involved in, they will be available.

Meanwhile there is a blacksmith gathering at Finch Foundry a water powered forge at Sticklepath nr Okehampton in Devon throughout the day on Saturday 22cnd of November there is a competition to make trivet, or to just have a go or watch other smiths at play, (you can't really call it work)

There will also be a number of home made forges and different styles of blowers there that you can have a look at and try.

Well worth the trip, come and introduce yourself, I'm the short fat ugly bloke.

• 5 months later...

I thought I'd give this a quick bump and see if we had any dates fixed, or suggested for the event. Is everyone still keen to have a go?

Re days, I'm up for a weekend 2 day'er , but any day is fine with a bit of notice

Dates that are looking good for a meet at the moment are either August 1st and 2cnd or August 15th and 16th most other weekends are taken up with shows and courses.

Let's know your preferences and we will sort somthing out.

The dates sound OK to me John, but as I said I'm flexible given a bit of notice.

Did I imagine it or did you mention that there may be a tool sale at Westpoint at some time, I'm on the lookout for some bits to make my life easier. Tongs and a lightweight leg vice for a start.

If anyone knows of a 3.5 inch vice going cheap and a few tongs I'd be a happy bunny. One last thing, I'm looking for a mobile forge with a hand crank so I can forge outside till I get a workshop. E-bay is one possible answer, but the forges all seem to be in the outer hebrides when I'm looking. Failing that I'll have to go stone age and dig a pit in the lawn.:)

Thanks for the link Matt, I'll have a look at the German site.
Vaughan's site makes my teeth ache, every time my jaw hits the floor when I look at the prices:)

You are right of course, I could make one, rather then buy, that way I could even have a wet Tue....hummmmmmmmm

Steve, Vaughan's have hand-crank blowers and portable forges in their catalogue, but get ready for 'sticker shock'. Angele (German) has a hand-cranker also, a more reasonable price: - ANGELE Schmiedetechnik - ANGELE-SHOP

Most modern portable forges can be built by hand, to a greater satisfaction and lower material cost than buying one.

Thanks John, I'll keep an eye out for the mail coming through, Now all I have to do is sweet talk "she who keeps me in penury" :D

Hi Steve, email sent to you

All items available unless portable forge has been already sold, if not it will be at the Devon County Show looking for a good home.

• 1 month later...

Dates are fixed, Saturday 15th August and Sunday 16th August.

Due to security arrangements, particularly on the Sunday registration is essential, gates will be opened Sunday morning about 9am, then they will be locked, exit arranged when convenient. Free overnight camping on site at rear of forge if required.

If you have specific requests for demos, please let me know and I will try to arrange them.

There are some tools and forges for sale, bring any tools you wish to sell

Anything else just ask.

• 4 weeks later...