I Forge Iron

Shop building begins

I don't think so, there's a skookum looking plywood and lumber form supporting the foam. It looks to me like the foam is supposed to be the interface between the hammer foundation and slab.

I'd just want some very positive reassurance in writing before using foam like that.

Frosty

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have designed quite a few foundations for equipment, mostly power presses, up to 2000 ton machines. The foot print is usually 2 x the foot print of the machine providing the earth beneath it tested OK. Most times we drove piling to bedrock. I don't think this would be necessary for a hammer. It looks like there is foam under the base, this could be a problem. The foam around the edge is to isolate the base from the floor of the shop.

For a power hammer, as Paul mentioned, I would agree that the hammer foundation sitting on compacted granular should suffice (1+ foot thick) assuming the subgrade is packed and consolidated enough (ideally undisturbed).

An asphalt impregnated fiberboard (3/8 - 1/2" thick) as an isolation joint between the foundation and the slab is usually advisable.

This is the type of foundation we built at a local steel mill in their spiral pipe operations.

It looks like there is foam under the base, this could be a problem. The foam around the edge is to isolate the base from the floor of the shop.

Yes, there is foam under and around the base. The concrete was poured last Tuesday, the picture shows the mould before that. By the specs the foam can easily take the static load of the base and the power hammer (it should compress less than 2%). What happens when I start hammering is another question. It could be that it compresses in long run. I couldn't afford polyurethane rubber, that is used in industry for shock absorption.

• 4 weeks later...

Some more pictures. The excavation around the foundation was filled about two weeks ago. Then there was a close disaster; I had hired a guy to build the frame with me and a couple a days before we were about to begin he broke his achilles tendon. Luckily I was able to find another guy on very short notice. He will finish the building for me (except for roofing). It'll cost me somewhat more, but then again I will be able to spend more time with my family.

10108.attach

10109.attach

10110.attach

Metso minerals, used to offer a pourable dampening material containing sorbothane for use in their rock crusher bases.

Paul, thanks for the info. I couldn't anything on that on Metso minerals www-pages. Is that meant to be used directly under the machine and what kind of layer thicknesses are used?

• 1 month later...

I guess it is time for an update. The building itself has been been more or less ready for about a month now. I've been quite busy so all I have done during that time is painting the inside and sanding/treating the floor. Yesterday I drove to our family cottage to get the blacksmithing stuff from a small shed I've been using as a shop during last couple of summers.

The new shop still needs all the wiring to be done. It has somewhat difficult to find an electrician.

11636.attach

11637.attach

11638.attach

That is looking pretty!

Your tools look pretty lonely all spread out like that and in such a clean space too. If I didn't know this was a brand new shop I'd have to wonder about your sanity.

I also see the car is in a car port (what we call a relatively open, roofed over place to park the car instead of a proper garage) and your tools are in an enclosed, lockable space. I like your priorities.

Frosty