I Forge Iron

double L anvil makers

So, I got my first anvil today. Its in pretty rough shape as far as pitting is concern, but other than that its not too bad. I'm a bit curious as to who made it tho. All I can really make out of what is lift of the name is two LLs in about the middle of the side. On the other side its marked 1 2 16, which, If I'm reading that right makes it about a 184lbs+-...

Does anyone have any guesses as to the maker. I'll try to post some pics tomorrow if it will make it easier.

Thanks all.

That's a nice looking anvil. Has lots of work let in it. At least your and my life time put together anyway plus a little to boot.:D

Thanks, not bad since all I paid for it was about 6 hours worth of cutting cord wood. I even got some apple cider out of the deal :)

Well, I've never read a book on Anvils, and I know absolute nothing about old anvil marks but I would vote for William Foster. What? Knowing nothing about metallurgy never stopped anyone from giving advice about heat treating so I guess I can venture into the realm of "un-informed opinion", right? Sorry.

Looks identical to my HILL anvil. I'm almost positive that it is. If it is I would put it in the latter 1700's to very early 1800's. I have not been able to find much out about Thomas Hill anvils aside from the fact that he had a shop in Sheffield England.
Looks like a nice find :D

I'm pretty sure at least one of the letters is an L. The other is hard to make out but it seems the lower leg of an L is still visible.

I'm leaning towards the Hill anvil idea, as I did a little research and found pretty detailed pics from one that was for sale in early October. The placement of the weight is the same as mine and there appears to be a roman numeral I above the first L in Hill, which would explain a mark on mine.

Here are the Pics, what do you think?

9160.attach

9161.attach

I know nothing about anvils but have a good eye for detail, and would say that that anvil say's IIL and below it it say's something like ARMING--- can't read anymore..

I might be seeing thing's but that's what i see on it anyway, It look's like a nice anvil though.

Edit: Also looks like there could be an I above the L might be wear and tear but look's like an I.. NOS's link is perfect :P

Hope this helps

Edited by Ethersin